My FIRST iPhone 6S. What should I know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Hello everyone. I am about to get my first iPhone from Verizon. I have always used an Android. I am very excited about this positive transition into the Apple universe.
No doubt, I will want to purchase the latest and greatest iPhone. This means purchasing an iPhone 6s. Now I know what you're thinking. Wait until Apple releases the iPhone 7. I wish I could. But my Android is broken and I simply can't use it anymore. Therefore, my trade in is out of necessity.

• What should I know before I make this purchase?
  • Are all iPhone's created equal?
  • I heard on the radio if you buy an iPhone 6s now the upgrade wil be free. Does Verizon do this?
  • What kind of case should I get to protect my iPhone from breaking?
  • Is there a tripod I can get in order to video myself and others? I need it to stand on it's own.
  • Will my new iPhone 6s be able to run Google Apps smoothly and back up to Google+ Images?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iPhone 6S was JUST released and there will not be an iPhone 7 until September of 2016 at the earliest. So the suggestion to wait is moot.

All iPhones are manufactured by Foxconn in China, are they created equal? Sure, as much uniformity as a mass manufacturing process allows. Its like anything else that is manufactured in the millions if not hundreds of millions.

If you are an existing iPhone 6 customer, a bunch of carriers are making it easy (maybe free) to upgrade to the 6S. So read the fine print.

Any case that protects your investment and meets you aesthetic needs is fine. Some people swear by the fully covered designs like the Otterbox while others go for a slimmer back case only leaving the glass alone. Some put on a protective plastic, this is entirely subjective to what you feel like doing.

I'm sure there are hundreds of tripods for phones out there, Google it.

iPhone (through iOS) does not run Google Apps. It runs iOS Apps which you will download from the iOS App Store. You do not get apps from Google Play like you did on your Android device. Apps you had previously purchased on your Android device will have to be re-purchased on the iPhone. iOS backs up iCloud but can sync with Google for contacts. Not sure what the Google+ Image backup is that you're talking about since that's not what Google+ is..

C

chas_m

All smartphones are manufactured in China, mostly by Foxconn

There, fixed that for you.

iPhone (through iOS) does not run Google Apps.

BZZZT. Nope! iPhone runs tons of Google apps (ie apps made by Google). You're confusing that term with "Android apps," which indeed iOS does not run (and of course vice versa). There's a VERY full complement of Google apps that work just fine on iOS, from Maps (even though Apple Maps is on there too) to Google search (which is really quite nice), Google Calendar and many others. I don't use Google+ Images but I would bet strongly that there either is already an iOS app for that or will be one in due course. Google does not shy away from making apps for iOS, because they're not stupid.

C

chas_m

What should I know before I make this purchase?

Not much. There is an Android app in the Google Play store that will transition your stuff over to an iPhone more seamlessly; if you can resurrect your old device, this might prove time-saving. If not, it will be a fresh start, but you will likely be able to pull in your Google web data (like contacts) through some other apps or means, so don't fret.

Are all iPhone's created equal?

If you mean "of the same model," then yes. There are several models of iPhone; the latest two are the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus, which is different in that it has a larger screen and optical camera stabilization (and of course a bigger battery).

I heard on the radio if you buy an iPhone 6s now the upgrade wil be free. Does Verizon do this?

The way you have phrased this, the answer would be "no," but I think you misunderstood the radio announcement. Most carriers (yes, including Verizon) have an installment plan payment option that gives you a way to upgrade the iPhone as often as every year if you want, but of course you keep paying the cost of the first phone until it is paid off on top of your monthly fee and then the cost of your plan. Apple has a similar option that offers a free iPhone upgrade each year without having to pay the old one off first (and other companies like T-Mobile also do this), but you don't get to keep the "old" iPhone, it must be turned in and be in good working condition. Perhaps that is what you heard about on the radio.

What kind of case should I get to protect my iPhone from breaking?

The iPhone isn't a glass egg, but it is in part made of glass (and people like to keep it looking nice) so a case is often -- but not always -- necessary. I have a case on my iPhones SOLELY because I like them to be "grippier" than they are by default (particularly as ludicrously thin as they are these days!), and this has enable me to say that I have never had an iPhone become damaged or break. This is also in part because I treat my iPhone like it costs $750 -- because it does! :)

Some people are more prone, or just want to be as sure as possible that they won't drop it somewhere where damage might result, so they go for things like Otterbox cases and that's fine too. Everyone has their own "line" of where style meets protection.

Is there a tripod I can get in order to video myself and others? I need it to stand on it's own.

You might then want to look for a case of the iPhone that features a standard tripod screw mount, so that literally any tripod made for cameras will work. Or you might want to get a smartphone tripod, and make sure that it works with iPhone (any sensible manufacturer will be able to say that it does). If you enjoy drooling, have a look at this.

Will my new iPhone 6s be able to run Google Apps smoothly and back up to Google+ Images?

Yes. Apps made by Google are almost always also made for iOS (very savvy move there, Google. Well played). Most Android developers, not being stupid, have an iOS version of their app (but you'll have to re-purchase that), so any that you really like from your previous phone should be available. Some iOS apps are unique to iOS, of course, but you'll be able to discover those on your own. Android apps that don't have an iOS version -- like Mac apps -- do not run on iOS devices.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you. :)[/QUOTE]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.