New Safari/ El Capitan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), 750M NVIDEA
This is my first post, I would be very happy If someone could help me with a problem with the new Safari. It's simple, at first (Before installing El Capitan and new Safari 9.0) I was able to right click and download mostly all videos from "internal players" such as Facebook or blogs, with the new Safari the right click menu is now in different format with few options and none saying "Download video/Download video as...". Is there a way to get back to the old menu or is it the new thing, impossible to change? Ps: I've just checked and I have no plug-in installed apart from AddBlock and Google Docs.

Phil

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Usually those right-click menus can be added to, but if Safari changed things internal to itself, then you just have to learn to deal with the changes..

C

chas_m

Can you give us an example URL so we can test? It might be something as dumb/simple as needing to update Flash, for example ... it may also be possible that you were actually relying on an extension or plug-in that's now broken or needs updating ...

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Raz0r and chas for replying, really appreciated it.

@raz0rEdge it may indeed changed things in a way we can go back but it's just really weird changing even style and font. Something changed for sure xd

@chas_m it happened with every single facebook video. Here's one example: https://www.facebook.com/eclipsapp/videos/485256088309414/ before updating rightclicking the video would pop a menu similar to when using Finder or any Mac app, now it's changed to something different:

Before: (Give or take something like this, but with Download Video/Download Video as..., this one I took from finder just now) Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 10.11.58 AM.png

After: Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 10.11.05 AM.png

C

chas_m

This is probably a change in Facebook to stop people downloading the movies ... there are no other contextual menus that look anything remotely like that in OS X, so I feel pretty confident this is Facebook doing that.

It could possibly be that you had a third-party program or web plug-in that would help download embedded movies like that that has stopped working with the upgrade, so check out that possibility by auditing your browser's plug-ins. If that's not the problem, perhaps there is web plug-in that could fix that! :)

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chas_m Yeah, funny thing was that one old update, I'm guessing Safari 8.something.something, was when appeared from nowhere this option of easy download. Maybe was bug from the beginning now fixed.

I'll check available easy download options, I am content keeper, hahaha. Thanks all for your opinions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.