Safari: tabbed browsing and ad-blocking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Aaargh, I say, and argggh again. The Safari programmers definitely need to change "cycle through tabs" from apple/shift/[ or ] to apple ` or option tab. This is driving me crazy. Oh, and something like AdBlock Plus would be nice...ah screw it, I'm installing Firefox again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it is the command key.
so you are giving up on learning an entirely new operating system, programs, keyboard shortcuts in 10 days???? thats cool?

okay, just keep using it and it will become second nature.

command + ` is already a keyboard shortcut so they cant use that. i forget what the other ones are for because im using an ibm thinkpad right now at my girls place.

oh and something like going to the safari menu and checking popup blocking should get rid of all your pop ups unless your going to Pr0n sites all the time and getting pup-unders which pop-unders are impossible to avoid with any program right now.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
it is the command key.
so you are giving up on learning an entirely new operating system, programs, keyboard shortcuts in 10 days????

Nope, just on most of the included software*. The operating system is alright, but I was missing AdBlock Plus.

okay, just keep using it and it will become second nature.

That's just the point, I _did_ get used to it, command tab cycles between apps, command ` cycles between different instances or windows of the same app.

oh and something like going to the safari menu and checking popup blocking should get rid of all your pop ups unless your going to Pr0n sites all the time and getting pup-unders which pop-unders are impossible to avoid with any program right now.

Yeah, it got rid of pop-ups alright, but give AdBlock Plus a try. No more dancing, flashing, jumping banner ads!

* that includes the calculator, iWeb, iWork, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book and a couple others I can't remember right now. But the calculator, Safari and iWeb were the worst offenders. Yeah, I realize those were free, and my mini was cheap in comparison with a Quad G5, but ****...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Calculator works perfectally and does everything the one in Windows does.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
The Calculator works perfectally and does everything the one in Windows does.

OS X Calculator
maccalc.jpg

OS X Calculator, advanced mode
so7frs.jpg

PCalc3
Basic.jpg

PCalc3, advanced
Dashboard.png

Windows Calculator Plus
so7lux.jpg

I'm really not asking much off a calculator, but if I enter
Code:
100+13%=
on the keyboard, then the result better be 113, to give one basic example. You might laugh, but I'm using this daily in a slightly more complex form; the routine is take unit price, times number of units, minus variable rebate x%, plus 13% (local lodging tax, to be specific).

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to give the impression that I dislike OSX, because I don't, in fact I rather love and should have switched years ago. Included apps that I love:

the dock, spotlight, itunes, preview, the finder's great, the always-on-top menu, and the OS in general. On the other hand, I could already scream in frustration over the lack of a cut function in finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
All the calculators you showed for windows were 3rd party ones...
I'm sure you can find 3rd party calc's for os x too?

As for the tab switching shortcut: I installed Safari stand and can now switch with the , + . keys.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
All the calculators you showed for windows were 3rd party ones...

Just the blue one is a calculator for Windows, and that one's free to download from the MS page.

I'm sure you can find 3rd party calc's for os x too?

Yes, I did. PCalc 3, as displayed above. Oddly enough, PCalc 2 was included by Apple with Macs sold in the US and some other countries during 2002.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Kar98 said:
I'm really not asking much off a calculator, but if I enter
Code:
100+13%=
on the keyboard, then the result better be 113, to give one basic example. You might laugh, but I'm using this daily in a slightly more complex form; the routine is take unit price, times number of units, minus variable rebate x%, plus 13% (local lodging tax, to be specific).
I just downloaded PCalc and it does what you just said it couldn't do... do you have the most recent version, from January of this year?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
He was talking about a Percentage Key problem on OSX's calculator that must have happened sometime at 10.4.3 to now. It's fixed in 10.4.6. I did not even notice it was broke as I had been using my HP Graphing lately.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Discerptor said:
I just downloaded PCalc and it does what you just said it couldn't do

Yes, it does, that's why I downloaded it in first place. As opposed to this bug that was introduced into the calculator included with Mac OS X 10.4.3 and fixed with the latest update 10.4.6.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
As for the tab switching shortcut: I installed Safari stand and can now switch with the , + . keys.

Well, since I was quite satisfied with Ffx on the PC, I went and installed it on the mini, too. Once you've experienced the Web with AdBlock Plus, you don't want to browse without it ever again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.