Upgrade from Snow Leopard or not?

Reaction score
Hi I just made the switch from pc to mac. I bought an early 2008 mac pro 3.1 8 core with 4gb ram. It came with no programs like garage band or Ilife. It has snow leopard installed. Which os is best for me? Should I keep snow leopard and get old versions of programs? Or do I just upgrade to the latest os? Remember I have 0 programs and I'm starting brand new. Some people say I shouldn't upgrade and some say I should. I also read that some of the older macs have trouble running the newest os. Is that true? Thank you for your help.

C

chas_m

Presuming you mean this model, I would recommend upping the RAM to at least 8GB (it's a Mac Pro, after all) and running the latest OS, which is El Capitan (OS X 10.11). If you have Snow Leopard installed, update it to 10.6.8 if it isn't there already, then use the Mac App Store (and an Apple ID you'll need to create if you don't already have one -- your iTunes login will work if you already had that) to update to El Cap.

There's no reason not to update a machine that is capable of running El Capitan, it is very fast and will work just fine with that machine. Snow Leopard was great in its day, but it is NO LONGER SAFE TO USE ONLINE. I can't stress this enough -- it hasn't received any updates in years, and more and more programs won't work on it.

With the El Cap install you'll get all the basic programs, though you may need to run the Mac App Store's software update a few times to get everything. Some programs that come standard on new Macs, like iMovie and such, may need to be purchased -- but they are cheap and you can just buy what you need. If you slap some SSDs in there you'll get great performance out of that machine, though of course the newer Macs are waaaay quieter!

OP
N
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you. I do plan to upgrade the ram to 8gb in the next few days. should i wait to install the os, or can i do it before i add the ram?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And if you dont mind it being a little bit slow it will run on 4 Gb RAM because I am doing just that on this MBP however my processor is a little faster than yours so the upgrade is a very good idea and you can do it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Before buying anything double check your specs. There is no 3.1GHz Mac Pro from 2008 or any other year. The Mac Pro 2.1 model 2006-2007 has 3GHz Clovertown processors, and the Mac Pro 3.1 2008 model 3GHz and 3.2Ghz models have Hapertown processors and each uses different memory o the other.

C

chas_m

Harry: he didn't mean a 3.1GHz computer, he meant the model identifier: Mac Pro 3,1.

Took me a while to figure that out as well! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.