Wired Keyboard - certain keys not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
My 'Apple wired extended KB' suddenly stopped typing certain keys. I replaced it with another KB but I prefer the Apple KB.

It is missing 3edc and the 'shift' doesn't. The 3edc are in a row if that is a clue.

There isn't any sign of liquid being spilt on it and I don't recall doing so.

Any ideas? on why or how to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time for a new keyboard. Your description sure sounds like a spill with the keys being in a row as it were down the keyboard. If it is the original keyboard eight years is a gerat run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
From someone who spent 30 minutes today trying to reset my network password only to find the "v" key on the keyboard had quit working, I suggest you do what I did - get a new keyboard.

Keyboards die of old age - no cure for that. :Grimmace:

Lisa

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Thanks,
harryb Actually after burning out a couple of wireless ones I bought it perhaps a couple of years ago.... not sure. However a run sure does sound like a possibility.
Lisa I hear your pain ; )

So what does a person with a laptop do? (I have an iMac) Is it just a simple remove the old and in with the new KB ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So what does a person with a laptop do? (I have an iMac) Is it just a simple remove the old and in with the new KB ?

That is pretty much what happens - or attach a bluetooth or usb keyboard. :D

Check out ifixit.com - they have lots of tutorials on how to.

Lisa

C

chas_m

I use keyboard covers on my (from kbcovers.com -- they are the best in an area where you'd think all manufacturers would be alike, but no). I try to avoid eating or drinking near them for obvious reasons. When I don't have keyboard covers available, I wash my hands before use (I have naturally youthful -- I mean oily -- skin).

It's possible you could clean out the keyboard by disassembling it, but very few people would go through that effort in a world where keyboard cost $40 or less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.