Temperature Sensor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 i5 2.3 Dual core running 12.3.1
Getting ready to replace the HDD in my 5 year old imac. Mid 2010 Model. Existing HDD is a Seagate and plan on replacing it with a Seagate from OWC. I have my eye on this HDD: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST1000DM003/

My question is OWC wants to sell me a $40 dollar in line thermal temperature sensor to eliminate firmware issues with third party HDD. This I do not understand. The original HDD is a third party drive made by Seagate, so why will I have problems if I install another Seagate.

I will buy what is necessary to do the job right the first time, but is this necessary?

I guess I need some guidance from the experts here on what to purchase to insure the cooling fan runs properly and not at 100%, 100% of the time. Lot's of conflicting info on Youtube.

Thanx.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is OWC wants to sell me a $40 dollar in line thermal temperature sensor to eliminate firmware issues with third party HDD. This I do not understand. The original HDD is a third party drive made by Seagate, so why will I have problems if I install another Seagate.

Apple got a little bit too "clever" with some iMac models. Namely some 2009, 2010, and 2011 models. Yes…Seagate may be a 3rd party vendor. But that doesn't mean that the same Seagate HD found on a store shelf is the exact same Seagate HD Apple installs in their computers. In some cases (as with some of these iMac models)…Apple put special ROM (firmware) into the Seagate HD's they used (which makes them different from other Seagate HD's).

OWC is usually pretty good about finding & supplying solutions when Apple does things like this. I would say that if OWC recommends purchasing this $40 inline temp. sensor…probably a good idea to get it. The iMac's fans will definitely be messed up…that no 3rd party software app. will cure.

You could also give OWC a call…just to double check & verify things. This way you are 100% sure you need the $40 thing.:)

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
tiredretired
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple got a little bit too "cleaver" with some iMac models. Namely some 2009, 2010, and 2011 models. Yes…Seagate may be a 3rd party vendor. But that doesn't mean that the same Seagate HD found on a store shelf is the exact same Seagate HD Apple installs in their computers. In some cases (as with some of these iMac models)…Apple put special ROM (firmware) into the Seagate HD's they used (which makes them different from other Seagate HD's).

OWC is usually pretty good about finding & supplying solutions when Apple does things like this. I would say that if OWC recommends purchasing this $40 inline temp. sensor…probably a good idea to get it. The iMac's fans will definitely be messed up…that no 3rd party software app. will cure.

You could also give OWC a call…just to double check & verify things. This way you are 100% sure you need the $40 thing.:)

- Nick

Thank you. I will most definitely call OWC before ordering. Good advice. I am trying to learn as much on the subject as I can by reading and picking brains.

Apple sure knows how to make things interesting but no complaints on this end. This imac has been a great computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
tiredretired
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.