Transferring pics to iPad's camera roll?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
We are trying to learn how to scan pictures and sending them to different places. After we scan a photo and have them on our iMac we would like to transfer them to my wife's iPad Air's camera roll. We have been trying to use Air Drop and are successful getting the pictures transferred but a box pops up asking us what we want to open the picture with. When we try one of them, Evernote for example we cannot find a way to get them to her camera roll. Is there a tutorial on how to do this? We seemed to be able to get them to go everywhere except her camera roll. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why would you want them in the camera roll specifically? That's the spot reserved for photos taken by that devices camera, or screen saves made on that device. It'd make much more sense to add the newly-scanned photos to the Photos app in OS X and sync them to the iDevice(s). You could create an album that only contains the scans for easy access to them.

Try watching this tutorial to see if it helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deFe7_Z5C9E

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We are trying to learn how to scan pictures and sending them to different places. After we scan a photo and have them on our iMac we would like to transfer them to my wife's iPad Air's camera roll. We have been trying to use Air Drop and are successful getting the pictures transferred but a box pops up asking us what we want to open the picture with. When we try one of them, Evernote for example we cannot find a way to get them to her camera roll. Is there a tutorial on how to do this? We seemed to be able to get them to go everywhere except her camera roll. Thanks.

Hi Wornslick - basically, you want to transfer images on your iMac to your iPad, correct? iTunes as already suggested is certainly a useable possibility but one that I've always felt annoying - please check out post #6 in this iPad Forums Thread - it's a post I wrote (giradman there) not too long ago - may help. Dave :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks you two, I started working 12 hours days today, 14 hours counting the drive back and forth. I am looking forward to looking at your suggestions a lot closer in a few days. Thanks again Dave and Lifeisabeach!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took a little time tonight and looked at your post Dave and so far we think that Photo Sync would work for what my wife's looking for. Photo's sent from our iMac to her iPad will be sent to the camera roll or a file that we name, we are going to take a look at the other choices in the next few days but Photo Sync sounds great! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took a little time tonight and looked at your post Dave and so far we think that Photo Sync would work for what my wife's looking for. Photo's sent from our iMac to her iPad will be sent to the camera roll or a file that we name, we are going to take a look at the other choices in the next few days but Photo Sync sounds great! Thanks.

Well, good luck and let us know what works out best for you - may help others who peek at your thread! Dave :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We went with the Photo Sync, we have figured out how to send photos from my wifes iPad to the Mac but we are having a little trouble learning how to take pictures that we have scanned to the Mac and then get them sent to her iPad.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I have noticed here in the last half hour is the pictures we can't seem to get to work are pdf, and the ones that do work are jpeg. Am I missing something while we are scanning the pictures?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got up this morning and found a website called smallpdf which can change a pdf picture to a jpeg picture. I used it on one of the pictures and changed it. I came home from work and tried it and it went right through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I have noticed here in the last half hour is the pictures we can't seem to get to work are pdf, and the ones that do work are jpeg. Am I missing something while we are scanning the pictures?

I got up this morning and found a website called smallpdf which can change a pdf picture to a jpeg picture. I used it on one of the pictures and changed it. I came home from work and tried it and it went right through.

Hi again - just opened PhotoSync on my MBPro (and on my iPad) - I dropped a JPEG & a PNG images onto the doc icon and have the laptop app transfer options set to 'Automatic' and 'Camera Roll' (see screen capture below) - both transferred immediately - not sure that a PDF file format is accepted - I would suggest saving & scanning your images w/ the standard imaging format extensions - otherwise, check their Website - there is a Support Section w/ plenty of FAQs and you could also contact them w/ your specific questions regarding the PDF format - good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 11.07.59 AM.png

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, Mrs. Wornslick informed me this morning that when she scans a picture on the new printer/scanner it asks her what format she wants to use. She didn't realize that there was any difference in them. After I told her that I believed we needed to use the jpeg format, she scanned a lot of pics today using the jpeg format and they all went right through. She is very, very happy with PhotoSync. Thanks again for all the help Dave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, Mrs. Wornslick informed me this morning that when she scans a picture on the new printer/scanner it asks her what format she wants to use. She didn't realize that there was any difference in them. After I told her that I believed we needed to use the jpeg format, she scanned a lot of pics today using the jpeg format and they all went right through. She is very, very happy with PhotoSync. Thanks again for all the help Dave.

No problem @ all and glad that PhotoSync works well for your wife - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.