apple apps not responding

Reaction score
panic attack, i restarted my mac pro & i cannot view/open most apple apps ie. safari, mail, about this mac, & a few others. itunes seems to open however calendar, preview, quicktime, all refuse to open. the bounce once on my dock & nothing . . . .except itunes

i have a octo mac pro 2009. i wish i could screen capture my ATM but it refused to open! i have tried searching but all i get are 2008-2013 results on different OS, not the latest Yosemite.

i am a photographer & always have my system at sleep at night vs not shutting down - not sure why i restarted today . . .. any thought or suggestions please forward & i thank you in advance

C

chas_m

What have you tried? Have you tried booting from your clone backup (which you should really have) or from a bootable system elsewhere (thumb drive, DVD, recovery partition??). Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode (hold down shift for a long time when booting) or from a different account?

OP
A
Reaction score
safemode does nothing. since i am unable to access the appstore on my MP, could i download el capitan to a drive (using my mbp) & try to install from there to see if i can get a fix? i dont have a dvd recovery & my time machine is not cooperating

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes you could create an El Capitan USB installer from your MB Pro to use to install on your Mac Pro. You don't say what version of OS X you were running.

Have you tried doing a disk repair and permission repair by starting and holding down the Command + R keys to enter recovery mode?
Also reset the PRAM and SMC - it can't hurt.

I have held off on installing El Capitan because of issues with some Adobe CS6 products. Just a thought since you say you a photographer.

OP
A
Reaction score
i was gonna hold off doing a time machine restore, since my latest was about a month ago. . . pram, smc, & permissions did nothing. however, did a restore & it seems to open ATM, mail, app store & the like. el cap does not let you tether with your computer to camera - i shoot in the field & not the studio so i am not really affected, thanks for the thought though!

you guys have been great, thank you very much

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.