unknown apps installed

Reaction score
The following apps showed up in my apps folder and I don't know how they got there and do not know what they are:
Fozhand
Pastcost
perfetnight
Portrsyed
Qamails
Leperdvil
Genrose
They include installs and an uninstall file.

I have done a web search and can find none of them. Anyone know what these are and where they came from? I am prepared tp erase without instilling them.
mjshack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Look like you have been using questionable torrent sites for downloads. Trash each and everyone of them if you did not want it, and download Malwarebytes for Mac to remove any adware from these cources.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I have run the malwarebytes and it did find some abnormalities. I have uninstalled all of the folders. Now I wait and see it any more folders are seen in the apps.
mjshack

C

chas_m

And maybe take that advice about questionable sites and illegal torrenting to heart.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand torrenting. I thought that applied to downloading movies illegally. I have not done that to my knowledge. I don't really know how to do it. Could there be something else I am doing wrong?
mjshack

C

chas_m

Primarily, the way one acquires such malware apps is through either visiting sites that offer fake downloads you agree to install (putting in your password) or downloading (or torrenting) media (not just movies) illegally. You might have acquired it through responding to browser pop-ups, or clicking on unsolicited links in emails as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
CNET and softonic are two prime examples. Do not download anything from them. Also some antivirus software, AVAST in particular, do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Also, if in doubt, click on sender's e-mail address to check that it is genuine, i.e. not a scam.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.