newb questions.... :)

Reaction score
soooo, i made the switch a few days ago and it takes some getting used to.. i was wondering...

is there a good peer-to-peer bittorrent program out there for mac? I'm using FrostWire and well.... bleh.

is there a way to rename your computer? (please tell me there is...)

is safari better than firefox, or any other good browser?

is there someway to make the mouse ball button open the link to whatever you clicked on in a tab, as in firefox?

is there any way to make the side buttons on the mighty mouse to go forward and back in a browser?

thank youuuuu

OP
S
Reaction score
oh, some other stuff...

ill sometimes DL an app and ill put it in the dock and everything but part of the file stays on my desktop and i cant move it, or if i delete it i cant use the app....

how can i put my ipod songs onto my itunes without paying for some stupid program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
I made the switch just a month ago but the first thing I did was download Firefox, Safari didn't make such a great impression and I was already using Firefox on my old comp and new that it was a nice browser. Still, Firefox does go a bit wonky every now and again (not as much as IE!), so I use Safari when that happens.

The first Bittorrent program I downloaded to my mac was Tomato, but then I found Bits on Wheels and I've loved it ever since. Easy to use, fast and it looks good too.

I'm sure more experienced users will be able to help you with everything else and give you more options :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
synthemesc said:
soooo, i made the switch a few days ago and it takes some getting used to.. i was wondering...

is there a good peer-to-peer bittorrent program out there for mac? I'm using FrostWire and well.... bleh.

is safari better than firefox, or any other good browser?

is there someway to make the mouse ball button open the link to whatever you clicked on in a tab, as in firefox?

is there any way to make the side buttons on the mighty mouse to go forward and back in a browser?

First welcome. I'll help with what I can.

1. I use Azureus. Its full featured easy and reliable. I've heard people here use Transmission with good results. There is also Tomato Torrent, Bittorent and Bits on Wheels. I personally think BoWs is a POS but thats just my 2 cents.

2. System Preferences>Sharing

3. Safari is nice its nicely integrated with the rest of the OS and it performs predictably. I've been using it exclusively until about a month ago, I started to tinker with Firefox 1.5 (wasn't impressed before). I like the plugins especially Revealer. Renders slightly faster than Safari but isn't quite as polished as I'd like. There is always Opera and Camino.

4. Not sure.

5. Dont have one so I'm not sure. I use key commands mostly. cmd+[ for back and cmd+] for forward

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
synthemesc said:
oh, some other stuff...

ill sometimes DL an app and ill put it in the dock and everything but part of the file stays on my desktop and i cant move it, or if i delete it i cant use the app....

how can i put my ipod songs onto my itunes without paying for some stupid program?

1. I think you are talking about .dmg's. If so you have to copy the app to your preferred destination or the default Applications folder then drag it to the Dock. you can then eject the image (the white thing that shows up after you open the .dmg) and delete the .dmg file.

2. I never had the need but I'm sure a little Google time will turn something up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To open a TAB in Firefox or Safari with the middle (Ball) button on the mighty mouse, go to System Preferences and the mouse and set the setting for the middle button to Button 3. Clicking it while clicking a link will then open a new Tab.

Reaction score
synthemesc said:

thank youuuuu

open system preferences, go sharing button and fill in computer name

edit: didn't notice this was already answered. sorry

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you guys for all the help <3.

the tab thing works great

i tried to DL azarues before but i wouldnt open... but ill try again...

i changed the comps name and that was fine... but i guess what i wanted to change was the "quickname/shortname". like it displays when u click macintosh harddrive, and look at the "home" tab thing..

thanks again.

OP
S
Reaction score
ive downloaded azerues twice and each time when i try to open it it hops up and down a few times and doesnt do anything else. i got it from their main site i think and above is a java download link, so i figured maybe u need java to open it but when i click the link all i get is a bunch of info on it and no actual download.... i feel like im missing something blaringly obvious....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
synthemesc said:
ive downloaded azerues twice and each time when i try to open it it hops up and down a few times and doesnt do anything else. i got it from their main site i think and above is a java download link, so i figured maybe u need java to open it but when i click the link all i get is a bunch of info on it and no actual download.... i feel like im missing something blaringly obvious....
Try and download the java updates from the apple site. just a shot in the dark but worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
synthemesc said:

do you have an intel mac?

I have an intel mac and downloaded the Mac OS azureus and it did the same thing. I then downloaded the intel version.

heres the link to download the intel version of azureus:
http://azureus.aelitis.com/files/Azureus_2.4.0.2_OSX_Universal.dmg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
synthemesc said:
thank you guys for all the help <3.

the tab thing works great

i tried to DL azarues before but i wouldnt open... but ill try again...

i changed the comps name and that was fine... but i guess what i wanted to change was the "quickname/shortname". like it displays when u click macintosh harddrive, and look at the "home" tab thing..

thanks again.

Do you mean to change "Macintosh HD" or to change the name of your Home folder (eg "johndoe") with the "house" picture?

To change the name of "Macintosh HD", you can right click (or control click), get info, and just change it under "Name and Extension".
DO NOT try to change the name of your Home folder in this way, you will screw up your account. http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2004/12/changeshortname/index.php details an AppleScript that will do this, but I'd read through that article and make sure you back everything up first.

For BitTorrent, I use Tomato, and Transmission is a popular option as well. Personally I think Azureus is ugly (it looks like and behaves more like a windows app), but it does have a lot of features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I like azureus because if youre downloading a "packed" download such as a TV season, you can select which episodes you want or do not want. With other clients it just downloads the whole package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I like Transmission, it's the only thing right now that's FAST for Intel Macs.

OP
S
Reaction score
im going to try the shortnamechange later tonight, ill let you all know how that goes.... and if i dont come back, youll know how it went.

i tried to clean up my desktop by copy/pasting folders into my apps folder but when i try to paste it says i dont have the privilages to do so..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
synthemesc said:
i tried to clean up my desktop by copy/pasting folders into my apps folder but when i try to paste it says i dont have the privilages to do so..

Does your user account have admin rights?

OP
S
Reaction score
not sure, it says i can read & write, and i changed the details under account info so i could read & write but it wont let me do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
synthemesc said:
not sure, it says i can read & write, and i changed the details under account info so i could read & write but it wont let me do it.

In System Preferences>Accounts, does your account say Admin under your name?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.