Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Okay, fully appreciate your efforts, thanks Nick!
I'll post when I've succeeded, one way or t'other!

Cheers to you all :)
Tim.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck.:)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just going back to your original question / problem it seems to me you merely have an incompatibility issue with two applications, am I correct? Have you checked with the software producers to see gif there is a viable update for use with ElCapitan (or Yosemite). Because if El Capitan is working for you in every other respect what you are considering doing is a lot of work.
If the xBox controller has not been updated for OS 10.11 or at the very least 10.10 it is possible that it needs replacement with a new version or an alternative application. As for the "sound device" well there are a myriad of sound applications out there.
To reinstall your original outmoded OS and go through the process of upgrading again to an earlier than El Capitan OS just to get two applications working seems like a lot of work. So check the software producers, see if there are updates or later (better) versions for 10.11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your Mac originally came with Snow Leopard OS X.6 for which you should have got a disc. You can buy one from Apple Online for $20 but I think your wisest option is to contact the developers of your sound device and xbox controller and ask they get a move on with an El Capitan update. They have known for months it was coming.

C

chas_m

I'm glad someone finally raised what -- to my mind -- is the far, far easier and more sensible solution (at least until the possibility of a forthcoming update is ruled out) ... just update the broken apps, or at least see what the developers say about it. This rolling back nonsense is a lot like decided to build yourself a new car from the parts of your old car because you got a flat tire!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're all right, People!

As it happens, I couldn't avoid simply reinstalling El Capitan, so I'm stuck with it now, which isn't terrible.

The audio device (Focusrite Saffire 6) magically appeared and installed itself without its installation disk - and the Xbox controller clearly just hasn't had an update for the new OS.

Now, to reinstall my apps and reload my backed up docs, etc.

I'm living with the changes and learning as I go - thanks everyone!
Tim.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting that article Ian. When I was posting to this thread previously…I did come across that method (command + option + r) but I wasn't 100% sure it would work at the time (so I was hesitant to suggest it). The OS X Daily article does seem to suggest that it should work…so good deal.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Noobuk66, sounds like you successfully upgraded to El Capitan and only have one incompatible app. That, considering some of the recent posts on this forum sounds like a win to me. Well done. Have a search for some sort of update or replacement for the xBox controller there's bound to be others with the same problem.
Cheers,
Rod

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod, and Nick et al - I've got a PS4 bluetooth controller that works perfectly!

I'm adjusting to life under El Capitan but can't help wishing I'd left 10.9.5 well alone :)

Never mind - I'll look upon it as colonic irrigation in ones & zeros.
Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.