• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP 4.5 on a G3 and PCI graphics

Reaction score
I'm sure its possible to run FCP on a G3 and PCI graphics even tho though the system requirments say no.
What code or whatever do I have to change to make this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Tell me the specs of your G3, Install FCP on the Mac, navigate to it in Finder, control + click it then open the contents folder. email me the info.plist file and I'll edit it so it will run on your G3. Then I'll send the edited file to you and you replace the info.plist file you have. Then it will run.

This is assuming you already have FCP.

--Cheers.

EDIT: I know we can tell him to download textwrangler and edit the file him self but this is a lot more complicated then just changing the video card string.

OP
B
Reaction score
I already have FCP (Running it on an eMac 1ghz), however I am not done upgrading my B&W to what I beleive will we able to run FCP well.
By the end I hope to have 896mb of RAM, OC'd Radeon 7000 64MB (Already have that, more cooling will allow for a larger overclock. Although I may splurge for a 9200).
The big thing I need to get is the ZIF upgrade. Which will run FCP better, a 600mhz G4 or a 1.1Ghz G3.
I'm sure I can Overclock the G3 even more because I'm installing insane cooling, however I think an OC of the G4 would result in a drop in Bus speed which would not merit the Overclock.
Now that I know this is possible I feel much better about spending the money. Is there an article describing what you would be doing for me?
Thank you a lot of your help, once my system is together I'll email you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Basically what I'm going to do is go in and edit the info.plist file to bring the requirements down to your system. As far as I know there isn't an article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
But surely if your system reqs are below the recommended, then you'll suffer from seriously slow performance. Is there really an advantage of doing this?

Speaking as an editor, I feel that performance is absolutely essential when working in software editing environments. Slow render times etc are a nightmare and waiting hours for a simple edit is not fun.

Do you need the features of FCP, or would FCExpress or even iMovie do the job?

OP
B
Reaction score
I used to use iMovie but found it very limiting, especialy regarding grading and audio. I'm already editing on a 1Ghz G4 but need a 2nd computer at a 2nd location and don't have much money to spend on it.

T

t1rider321

Bluesmudge said:
I used to use iMovie but found it very limiting, especialy regarding grading and audio. I'm already editing on a 1Ghz G4 but need a 2nd computer at a 2nd location and don't have much money to spend on it.
do you already have a g3 you could pick up a cheap mini

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.