El Capitan - About to be released - suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - El Capitan is about to be released; I've taken my two Apple computers from early 2013 through several major OS upgrades - now both on Yosemite latest versions - what are the options? First, should one go immediately to 10.11 or wait until 10.11.1? My current backups are via TM and also CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) - do I need to also do another USB 'El Capitan' boot drive, and if so, what are the directions? Finally, since this will be my third major OS upgrade, can I simply install over Yosemite or should a 'fresh' install be a better option? If the latter, what are the suggestions?

Thanks for any help - and sorry if this kind of thread has already been posted - could not see a similar one - Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think I did my install over Yosemite Dave. It has worked pretty well for me. El Capitan has been pretty stable for me as betas go. There was a brief period where the spam filtering built into Mail did not seem top be working for me. It worked when El Capitan was released, didn't work during one of the updates but is working now. I'll probably jump on this the first day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tomorrow is the day for general release. Agree with Sly the Betas worked well, better than Yosemite so expecting no troubles.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
El Capitan hasn't been released.

You know what he meant! Sly is playing with the El Capitan betas which HAVE been released to the public.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First, should one go immediately to 10.11 or wait until 10.11.1?

I guess I've always been a bit conservative over the years with OS upgrades. I usually wait until at least the first update is released to do the OS upgrade. This way if there are any major bugs not ironed out during the beta process…hopefully the first update will take care of it. I say all this especially if someone only has one computer that they depend on…and don't want to deal with any unnecessary glitches.

A 2nd approach (if someone has more than one computer). If computer #1 is the "main" computer…and computer #2 is less depended on. Then go for it on computer #2.:)

Again…I've always been a bit conservative with OS upgrades. There is rarely a NEED on my part (or a new feature that I can't live without) to absolutely positively upgrade to the latest OS version on day #1 of its release.

- Nick

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys for all of the helpful responses - I usually share Nick's opinion, i.e. wait until the first typically 'minor' update, like 10.11.1 and also avoid the first day download rush and server congestion. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, where have all the heroes gone to? That's what backups are for guys! Be brave, be first! :Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and also avoid the first day download rush and server congestion. Dave :)

Yes…this too Dave. Thanks for mentioning it.:)

- Nick

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, where have all the heroes gone to? That's what backups are for guys! Be brave, be first! :Cool:

LOL! :) Guess that my 'cape' is out to the cleaners - ;) Dave
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 12.52.27 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha…"Billy Don't be a Hero";)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
El Capitan is in the AppStore.
It is classified as " Utilities " ..... LOL

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Installing it now. "About 33 minutes remaining"
They changed the pinwheel of death! Uh, I mean the busy pinwheel.

Reaction score
Let us know if there are any issues. I'm wanting to make the change but waiting to hear if there are any major bugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh you guys are an adventurous lot!

Reaction score
Ok, broke:
MenuMeters
Xtrafinder
USBOverdrive (crap, I need that)

So far. Add what you find.
And I see it still has that cartoon, flat interface. Was hoping they got away from the ios wannabe stuff.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Finally, since this will be my third major OS upgrade, can I simply install over Yosemite or should a 'fresh' install be a better option? If the latter, what are the suggestions?
I'm always going to answer this question this way - do a fresh install if you can. Honestly, it makes for a much leaner install and it's a great way to purge any old crap laying around. It also lowers the risk of incompatibilities if you start from a base where everything works.

Oh you guys are an adventurous lot!
I installed the GM a while back when it was available to devs. Does that make me extra adventurous?

C

chas_m

Like Van, I've been running the El Capitan betas on a separate volume for quite some time. During that time I did indeed find bugs, but the big ones got squashed (and TidBits reported on a fix for a broken app that I posted about here in Mac-Forums! Woot!). At this point, I think its fair to say that nearly any typical user who downloads El Capitan today -- as I did for my Yosemite drive -- will be unlikely to run into any serious bugs, and may not see anything other than some apps that need updating in the way of inconveniences.

I think users will really like Safari 9 -- even on a spinning HD (which is where my former Yosemite volume was and El Cap 10.11 final is now), the different in speed is really noticeable. Indeed the entire OS is noticeably (here it comes) SNAPPIER! But seriously, it is. I'll have more to say about the new features as I play with them more, but one more I'll mention now is that Mission Control has been revamped to be MUCH MORE the way I've wanted it to be, so that makes me a happy camper. Overall, I think this is a very "safe" update as these things go, and the focus on speed, optimization, polish and bug fixes seems to have paid off. If I could get a hold of Craig Federighi's ear, I'd tell him this new "tick-tock" cycle for both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 was a good idea and should become the norm again.

(edit) Additional info: the download was 6.08GB for me (upgrading from Yosemite), yes I made a copy of the installer before running it :), the download took less than the 45 minutes I was advised it would take, but the install took about double the estimated 30 minutes it said it would take ... so ... Apple's time estimates still not worth a darn :D.

Reaction score
Yeah, mine was stuck at "less than a minute" for about 10 minutes.
And stuck at "less than a second" for 15. And that was BEFORE the restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you ain't got many worries. Service to Australia is ultra slow. 1.1GB in 3 hours so giving it away for a couple days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.