Why is this update for iPhoto showing up now?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm not sure why you would still be waiting on confirmation of whether these apps work on Yosemite one year after it was released. If it's the software producers you are waiting on you could always load Yosemite onto an external HD and try out these apps out yourself. Better yet enrol in the Beta testing program and get a copy even earlier. That way you would know if everything was going to work for your apps before the OS was even released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks Rod. To answer the first part of your reply ...because issues with Yosemite continued well into this year and still continue for some. That's why. Besides, when I moved from a career in developing systems in a Windows (and mainframe!) environment I expected to be free of doing the developers testing for them. I don't need the hassle of installing an OS that might upset applications that I depend on for my livelihood, so generally don't install updates for the sake of it. And checking with every single developer of all my applications on a regular basis is not something I have the time to engage in. I have a life - that's I use OSX :)

To get back to my original specific query... There was much discussion on the need to update to the latest release of iPhoto BEFORE moving to Yosemite, which in my innocence I presume applies to moving to El Capitan also. The problem is I cannot do so at the moment. So how do I move forward keeping ALL my existing apps running until I decide (not Apple) to upgrade any of those? I would plan to move to Photos when I can be sure that all the features that I use in iPhoto currently either work or have acceptable alternatives. As of today I do not have reassurance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. Can you advice what version iPhoto should be before moving to Yosemite? I've moved the app (9.5.1) from Applications but App Store still has it indicated as 'Installed' so am unable to download 9.6.1.

This method has worked for many other users. I don't know why it's not working for you unless somehow the Mac App Store still detects version 9.5.1 on your system. Try again but make sure there are no remnants of the older version that can be detected.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You do actually have to put it in the trash folder, not just move it out of the applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
OK, so I totally got rid of iPhoto and downloaded it again from App store. I immediately received the message "The current version requires 10.10 or later, but you can download the last compatible version."

So that's what I did and ended up back with 9.5.1. So, I'll try again. If I need to move to 9.6.1 before loading Yosemite, but I need Yosemite to load 9.6.1, how exactly do I move forward?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Upgrade to Yosemite first, and remove 9.5.1 and then download 9.6.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think I'm going around in circles here. How do I upgrade to Yosemite - I only see El Capitan on App Store and I know for a fact that several of my Applications do not yet run satisfactorily in El Capitan. And when they do what's the betting that El Capitan will have been replaced by something else. Presumably (not) if I ask Apple nicely they will let me download Yosemite??? :)

Windows is suddenly looking a lot more attractive right now - at least I know to expect rubbish from Microsoft.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what happens when you fall behind in updating OS X (for whatever reason). And yes, El Capitan is going to break some apps, and not only apps but some functions and niceties that we were used to using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what happens when you fall behind in updating OS X (for whatever reason). And yes, El Capitan is going to break some apps, and not only apps but some functions and niceties that we were used to using.
Not good enough when one's livelihood depends on running apps day in day out. I just don't have time to p*** around fixing unforeseen problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag - Your advice as to how I achieve this would be most welcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only suggestion that I can even offer is to contact Apple or visit a local Apple store and see if they'll install Yosemite for you. Because unless you updated to it before, it won't be listed to download when you go to the Mac App Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.