Made the switch and no looking back

J

jacostilllives

Hey all as you can see im new to these forums and would like to introduce myself. I recently made the switch from PC to MAC and have to say that it has been a great decision. I had been a PC user for many years and actually owned MACs way back in the day. I used to own a Mac IIc and a Performa. Then switched to PC after that. Now after getting so sick of Windows and everything that goes with it i decided to buy a MacBook Pro. All i can say is wow what an amazing machine. In all honestly it runs just as fast or if not faster than my PC which was a P4 3.4ghz with 2gb of ram. I seriously am never going to go back to PC ever. You probably get a bunch of these threads everyday but im too excited to refrain myself. Thank you Mac and thanks for reading my thread. Hopefully you guys are nicer than the BMW forums that i post on. :p take care and Mac Power!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
jacostilllives said:
Hey all as you can see im new to these forums and would like to introduce myself. I recently made the switch from PC to MAC and have to say that it has been a great decision. I had been a PC user for many years and actually owned MACs way back in the day. I used to own a Mac IIc and a Performa. Then switched to PC after that. Now after getting so sick of Windows and everything that goes with it i decided to buy a MacBook Pro. All i can say is wow what an amazing machine. In all honestly it runs just as fast or if not faster than my PC which was a P4 3.4ghz with 2gb of ram. I seriously am never going to go back to PC ever. You probably get a bunch of these threads everyday but im too excited to refrain myself. Thank you Mac and thanks for reading my thread. Hopefully you guys are nicer than the BMW forums that i post on. :p take care and Mac Power!!

I'm new to these forums (and Mac's too) but your story about Windows sounds much like mine (I'm sick of PC viruses, spyware, "Do you want to send the error report to Microsoft" yada, yada, yada). I just bought a new 15 inch PowerBook G4 and I have no regrets at all. I'n fact if the money is available in a month or two I'm replacing my home PC with an iMac G5 20 inch. It's been interesting to see so many switchers, so like the nice welcome I recieved when I joined a few weeks ago, welcome aboard.

OP
J

jacostilllives

Yea originally i was scared about compatibility issues when transfering because i mainly use my computer for school work and whatnot. Will all my old files work on my Mac but as for now i can say that everything has been working well. Ohh and another sweet thing is that i didnt know Macs could read NTFS hard drives.. That helped quite a bit when transfering a lot of my files from an external hard drive on my PC to my new laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Welcome! your story is exactly like mine, except this is my first real experience with a Mac at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
I bought the intel imac a month ago, after using PCs for 10+ years. Needless to say I've loved every minute of this switch :) All the problems I feared never happened. (well there's the inability to play wmv, but other than that...)

It's such a beautiful machine for starters, takes half the space of my old compaq and the OS is so much easier than windows, I've found. But the best thing is how fast and reliable it is even with the biggest applications open at the same time.

Since the moment I plugged this baby and started using it, I've resented Microsoft and PCs in general for making it so difficult for so long and to so many people. I just want to convert all my friends now! LOL

OP
G

Grazza

WMV plugin

pugui said:
I bought the intel imac a month ago, after using PCs for 10+ years. Needless to say I've loved every minute of this switch :) All the problems I feared never happened. (well there's the inability to play wmv, but other than that...)

It's such a beautiful machine for starters, takes half the space of my old compaq and the OS is so much easier than windows, I've found. But the best thing is how fast and reliable it is even with the biggest applications open at the same time.

Since the moment I plugged this baby and started using it, I've resented Microsoft and PCs in general for making it so difficult for so long and to so many people. I just want to convert all my friends now! LOL

There's a free plugin here for playing wmv files in Quicktime (Flip4mac). Nice to see so many happy switchers .... Mac's are indeed a beautiful thing.

OP
G

Grazza

Grazza said:
There's a free plugin here for playing wmv files in Quicktime (Flip4mac). Nice to see so many happy switchers .... Mac's are indeed a beautiful thing.

Sorry, wrong link in the above post. That one's for the trial version of full Monty flip4mac. Microsoft have the download of just the player here. Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
jacostilllives said:
Hopefully you guys are nicer than the BMW forums that i post on.
Welcome glad to have you. Just curious what BMW means. I'd actually like to check out a few of them. I'm always game for some trouble. :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Grazza said:
Sorry, wrong link in the above post. That one's for the trial version of full Monty flip4mac. Microsoft have the download of just the player here. Cheers

flip4mac doesn't work on the new intel machines yet. apple has been downplaying the number of programs that rosetta can't run, and unfortunately it's a significant amount.

OP
K

Kokopelli

IronMac said:
Welcome glad to have you. Just curious what BMW means. I'd actually like to check out a few of them. I'm always game for some trouble. :batman:

At a guess Bavarian Motor Works?

And welcome jacoStillLives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
dohidied said:
flip4mac doesn't work on the new intel machines yet. apple has been downplaying the number of programs that rosetta can't run, and unfortunately it's a significant amount.

Found this work around for the Flip 4 Mac plugin, can say if it works but its worth a try.

Kokopelli said:
At a guess Bavarian Motor Works?

I thought of that but couldn't figure what it had to do with computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks IronMac, dohidied and Grazza for all the help.

I downloaded the WMV 9 player and it seems to work ok so far. The only thing I've found is that I can't see them using Frontrow, hopefully the universal flip4mac will be released soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
We do what we can. Did that link I posted help any with the WMV? I know VLC isn't native yet but does it run under Rosetta?

OP
J

jacostilllives

lol BMW has nothing to do with computers but you guys seem nicer than the guys that post on the BMW forums that i post on. Just making a point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
****, you really meant the car. I was hoping to start some OS brouhaha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
Welcome to Mac-Forums, enjoy that MacBook. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IronMac said:
We do what we can. Did that link I posted help any with the WMV? I know VLC isn't native yet but does it run under Rosetta?

As suggested by the link you posted, I downloaded WMP9 which they said should work ok with Rosetta and it did (quality is not the best but it works).

I didn't download the experimental VLC for Intel because I'm not that experienced with my mac yet. I'm still too much of a coward and want to stick to the tried and true :dummy:

I'm sure the intel/universal VLC and Flip4Mac will be out soon. I don't mind waiting... I'm having too much fun with my first mac anyway ;)

Thanks again!

OP
J

jacostilllives

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Im pretty insightful about computers..well PC's at least but im learning a TON about OSX in a little time ill be a pro :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
You know you will love every minute of this switch. Everyday I'm on the mac it gets harder and harder to go back to my Pc even though it is many times more powerful. The OS and the interface makes mac a dream machine, plus it's whisper quite to.

Enjoy your new machine, I'm sure you will.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.