Gear-like symbol on Desktop after Sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I have a MacBook Pro (15 inch, early 2011) OS 10.10.5. The past two days, after the MBP goes to "sleep", there appears at the more or less center of the screen a small (less than 1/4 inch), white, round gear-like symbol. (The attached JPG gives an idea, but the actual thing is much sharper, more gear-looking.) The only way I can get rid of it is by turning off the machine, and to do that, I have to hold the ON/OFF button down longer than usual (maybe ten seconds). I have run ClamXav, which found nothing. I will greatly appreciate any ideas! Thank you.

gear.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What happens if you click on the gear like symbol or right click on it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I am embarrassed to say that it's gone. I have put the laptop to sleep (Apple>Sleep) a half dozen times today, as well as allowed it to go to sleep on its own several times, and the gear symbol no longer appears. The only thing I did since writing my first post is, I wandered around System Preferences looking for some option I might have selected which I should not have done. The only item I found I could not explain was at "Security & Privacy>Location Services" where Calendar.app, Weather, and Maps.app were checked to "allow the apps below to determine your location". I don't remember checking those, and I can't think of why I would have. But I unchecked them. And since then, no gear symbol. If it does reappear, I will return here, and answer your question. In the meantime, I thank you and apologize for having apparently wasted your time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.