can no longer login into iMAC after changing kext file

Reaction score
Hi,

1st post here :)
I was trying to troubleshoot audio streaming issues between my SSL Nucleus Soundcard/Control-Surface and my new iMAC running 10.10.5.
As it turns out the Nucleus is USB2 and all my iMAC ports are USB3, and SSL do say that there are issues with this configuration. After some googling i thought i found a way to turn my USB3 ports to USB2 'mode' by adding a kext file via kext wizard to the IOUSBFamily.kext extension.
I made sure I backed up the original IOUSBFamily.kext, rebooted and here i am with a dead iMAC: none of my bluetooth devices (Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, Apple Wireless Keyboard) are recognised and I can't login. I tried to take the batteries out of all peripherals (put them back into discovery mode) and reboot the iMAC but nothing. I tried plugging in a USB mouse but it also doesn't register. I don't have a USB keyboard in the house to see if that would register.

I can see the iMAC over the network but have only turned on File Sharing. Using my MacBook Pro I can browse to the /System/Library/Extensions directory on my iMAC, but cannot delete the corrupt IOUSBFamily.kext file and replace it with the backup one due to permission issues. I've tried SSH-ing to the iMAC but it seems SSH is turned off.

I tried resetting the SMC but that didnt help. I can't get into any of the special Startup modes as i don't have a keyboard!

I am trying to borrow an USB keyboard or burn Yosemite onto an USB drive, but I fear its no use as none of the USB ports are recognised :(

Any idea how to approach this ? Thanks!

Yves

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Yep .... a clean install seems to be the way forward.
Hope you have a backup.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have got yourself into a pickle. Get your hands on a Mac kb and try to boot into Recovery and see if you can download Yosemite. As USB3 ports are backwards compatible with USB2 the question is why? No doubt something you saw on the 'net?

As it is a new iMac, consider takingit back to the Apple Store or Genius Bar and asking a 'pretty please' for a clean install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.