Did i screw up getting this ibook?

i recently got the refurbished 14 inch ibook but then i read a little bit about it here and you guys seem to think it's crap. "worthless" and the worst computer apple makes. i don't really think it's all that bad but the screen certainly could be larger i suppose. portability isn't a concern for me (reason i got a laptop was so it would be easier to bring my computer back and forth from college to home, but other than that i rarely take it anywhere) and the reason i got an ibook vs an older powerbook was i didn't want to spend much more than 1,000 and even the older powerbooks sell for considerably more than that. the 12 inch ibook lacked the superdive, had a slower processor and smaller hard drive and was out of stock in the refurbished store so thats why i chose the 14-inch. did i screw up this decision?

OP
L

lil

No.

The 14" iBook is a fine machine.

If you are happy with it, screw what anyone else says! I like them a lot myself, solid machines.

Vicky

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is nothing wrong with the 14" iBook at all. I would have bought one but I was short of Cash at the time and got the 12".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
My wife has the 12" and her only complaint is that it is not a 14" ... so smile ... be happy! :)

You got a great machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
14in is a great machine! i'm not sure why people would consider it 'crap', it's an ibook like any other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i never got tthe impression that this book is crap. i would buy one in a second when i feel like geting a new laptop
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
The iBook is a great laptop. I dont know who told you it was crap but they were definately wrong. Just make sure you got a good amount of RAM in there and it will serve you well for a long time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The ONLY negative comments I have read here about the 14" iBook is some feel that the native resolution should be one step higher on the 14" then the 12". I like it 14" myself at 1024x768 as it's easy for me to read, but some wished it had more desktop real estate. That is a personal preference. There is nothing bad about the 14" iBook unless that resolution bothers you.

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
The ONLY negative comments I have read here about the 14" iBook is some feel that the native resolution should be one step higher on the 14" then the 12". I like it 14" myself at 1024x768 as it's easy for me to read, but some wished it had more desktop real estate. That is a personal preference. There is nothing bad about the 14" iBook unless that resolution bothers you.

Thats the same as me. although i do enjoy the 1024x768, from time to time i wish i had something bigger (i used to have a fat 17inch flat panel with a high resolution i cant remember) but thats about it. i almost love my ibook more then my imac. you got a sweet machine :)

OP
G
macpwns said:
Thats the same as me. although i do enjoy the 1024x768, from time to time i wish i had something bigger (i used to have a fat 17inch flat panel with a high resolution i cant remember) but thats about it. i almost love my ibook more then my imac. you got a sweet machine :)

the reason i thought i messed up was because i read the "ibook or PowerBook? A college prospective." thread on this forum and i figured you guys knew what you were talking about. here are some quotes from the thread:

"
14 in iBooks are the worst computer apple makes by far. They are big and clumsy, have a dim screen, and the same resolution as the 12 in. I used to have one, worst decision ever, sold it to get an older powerbook.
"

"
I have never liked the 14" iBook. One poster mentioned, it has the same rez and relatively dim screen of the 12", only it's a bit more pronounced on the 14"
"

"they are pretty worthless."

basically just read that thread and everyone seems to agree the 14 inch ibook is a horrible choice.

anyway i'm going to re-register because i realized that i accidentally used my email as my username. i guess thats what happens when you use safari's autofill at 2 am and dont pay attention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
in regards to your username i'd contact an admin first; schweb or graphite to see if they can just change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
The only issue I have with the iBook is its screen. The thing is essentially the same thing as the one used in the PowerBook G3's during the mid '90s. It may have been cutting edge then, but we're over half a decade past that now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I really enjoy mine, and my mom still really loves her ibook clamshell! The ibook's a great machine.

Reaction score
the reason i thought i messed up was because i read the "ibook or PowerBook? A college prospective." thread on this forum and i figured you guys knew what you were talking about. here are some quotes from the thread:

"
14 in iBooks are the worst computer apple makes by far. They are big and clumsy, have a dim screen, and the same resolution as the 12 in. I used to have one, worst decision ever, sold it to get an older powerbook.
"

"
I have never liked the 14" iBook. One poster mentioned, it has the same rez and relatively dim screen of the 12", only it's a bit more pronounced on the 14"
"

"they are pretty worthless."

basically just read that thread and everyone seems to agree the 14 inch ibook is a horrible choice.

anyway i'm going to re-register because i realized that i accidentally used my email as my username. i guess thats what happens when you use safari's autofill at 2 am and dont pay attention.

Must be windows users. - haha - honestly, you got a good machine man. no worries. the ONLY reasons i would ever get a powerbook is because of the card slot, and maybe the dvi out, but you can always get an adapter for that. thats IT. but because i dont need a card for anything, and i dont need a dvi out - whenever i need a visual out, or second monitor, i use the vga adapter that came with my ibook - i dont need nor want a powerbook. sure it may be faster...but chuck an extra stick of ram in there, yer flyin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
macpwns said:
Must be windows users. - haha - honestly, you got a good machine man. no worries. the ONLY reasons i would ever get a powerbook is because of the card slot, and maybe the dvi out, but you can always get an adapter for that. thats IT. but because i dont need a card for anything, and i dont need a dvi out - whenever i need a visual out, or second monitor, i use the vga adapter that came with my ibook - i dont need nor want a powerbook. sure it may be faster...but chuck an extra stick of ram in there, yer flyin.

Uh, the iBook <-> PowerBook difference is a lot more than the PC card slot and a DVI out. You get much better graphics, more maximum RAM, and FireWire 800, plus much better screens (in the 15/ 17 in models of the PowerBook) and a backlit keyboard. Plus better audio.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iBook is a fine Laptop for the $$$. It's just that the Powerbook is even better like To Tough to Die pointed out. For the $$$ though the iBook is fine.

I am a bit concerned about the fact there is no FW-800 on the new Macbook since it's a Pro Level laptop. I hope Apple does not eliminate the FW-800 from the pro desktop machines. I guess only time will tell.

Reaction score
to_tough_to_die said:
Uh, the iBook <-> PowerBook difference is a lot more than the PC card slot and a DVI out. You get much better graphics, more maximum RAM, and FireWire 800, plus much better screens (in the 15/ 17 in models of the PowerBook) and a backlit keyboard. Plus better audio.

graphics: dont care. i dont do anything with graphics, and my xbox 360 and ps2 are 3 feet away
ram: i have 1gig installed.
firewire: dont use it except for the isight; the 5g ipods dont support it.
backlit keyboard: its called a lamp. has a switch and a bulb.
screens & audio: my apartment has a small recording studio with a 20 inch intel imac. pretty sure thats alllllllll the sound we need.

[snip]

OP
R

RoccaDelicious

You can either buy what others tell you is the better machine because they bought it, or just buy what suits your requirements, if you want to surf the internet, mess with your pictures & music then you don't need a "Joshua" a nicely specced iBook will do.

Just enjoy your purchase dude but if it don't "float your boat", bin it and spend a fortune on a government spec War games machine !

Have fun playing tic-tac-toe !

i recently got the refurbished 14 inch ibook but then i read a little bit about it here and you guys seem to think it's crap. "worthless" and the worst computer apple makes. i don't really think it's all that bad but the screen certainly could be larger i suppose. portability isn't a concern for me (reason i got a laptop was so it would be easier to bring my computer back and forth from college to home, but other than that i rarely take it anywhere) and the reason i got an ibook vs an older powerbook was i didn't want to spend much more than 1,000 and even the older powerbooks sell for considerably more than that. the 12 inch ibook lacked the superdive, had a slower processor and smaller hard drive and was out of stock in the refurbished store so thats why i chose the 14-inch. did i screw up this decision?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
As a happy owner of the 12in ibook i would say that you will really enjoy your purchase especially if you dont do heavy work with it. However for the extra cost of the 14in in comparison to the 12in you don't really get much. Therefore people bash the 14in. But if you needed the dvd burner and you got it refurb. so its actually not such a bad purchase at all.
Enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.