problem with Seagate Expansion Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi Guys and gals hope someone can help here, as I'm desperate to find a solution to this problem.

I have a 3TB external hard drive which has develop a fault name due to overheating, as i pulled the usb lead out of the back of the hard drive the connection, connected to the motherboard came away. I have been intouch with Segate who have told me the drive is still under warranty. However they cannot take my data off the drive and put it on to a replacement drive.

They have however gave me permision to remove the drive and place it in an external enclosure to recover my data. which i have done, but now i am getting a message saying this computer can not read the drive you have inserted.Do you wish to initialize, Eject or ignore. I am using an iMac intel with Yosemite 10.10.5, and upto the point that the usb became faulty the drive worked perfect. The HD was formatted to mac and has only been used on my mac for the last 2 years.

I am using a CIT U3HD01 external enclosure as here: CiT 2.5"/3.5" USB 3.0 SATA Aluminium Docking Station Gunmetal Grey U3HD01 - USB Products - A One Distribution

The drive shows up as a 3TB hard drive but it does not show any of the partions. of which there are 4. It also shows up in terminal under diskutil list but again as a sing hard drive.

Therefore how do i get this to show partion or be accepted by my machine. I used this every week to back up my machine and have 2 years worth of employment records on this drive that i desperatley need to recover

surely it should recognise the drive and partions please help or is it the case that the drive needs to be put into a segate enclosure for my iMac to see the partitions or am i using the wrong enclosure. it does say it is OS X compatible. :Angry::Angry:

As a pointer I tried it on a Windows PC and it displays exactly the same no partition list

Just as an after thought don't know if this has any bearing on the matter but I did recently do a fresh clean install of Yosemite as the previous system was mountain Lion with Yosemite upgrade. Could this affect it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Let me tell you about Seagate ~ gone to the bottom of the pack!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.