CPU upgrade for MacPro 5,1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a mid-2011 Mac Pro 5,1 (model #MC561LL/A), 2.4 Ghz, 8-core (dual Xeon E5620) "Westmere" processors, ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card. I do an older version of Photoshop for art/photography/printmaking.

Have been thinking that if I don't do some serious upgrades soon, the world might change and the products I need might cease to exist in this universe. So I was thinking of a CPU upgrade first, and a graphics card to run a better maybe 4K monitor (because my LaCie Electron Blue has basically crapped out).

There are plenty of Hex core upgrades on Ebay, and it occurred to me that, since I have two four core CPUs in the machine, I could conceivably replace them with two 3.x Ghz Hex cores and end up with a 12 core machine that would possibly scream.

Is this sound logic, in your opinion? What am I missing?

As for the graphics card, I'm a bit at sea about it. There are some wizzbang cards out there, but they can run over $1000. There are also some cards, like the ATI Radeon 7970 that are much less. And do they work with this machine is always the big question.

Any advice you may have on either of these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Red

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have been thinking that if I don't do some serious upgrades soon, the world might change and the products I need might cease to exist in this universe.

You didn't mention what OS version it's running. But if it's an older version…the "obsolescence issue" is more likely to occur due to running an older OS version (and maybe older app versions)…than a hardware issue (at this point in time).

There are plenty of Hex core upgrades on Ebay, and it occurred to me that, since I have two four core CPUs in the machine, I could conceivably replace them with two 3.x Ghz Hex cores and end up with a 12 core machine that would possibly scream.

You didn't mention what computing tasks you do on this computer. But if those tasks are not maxing out the 8-cores presently available…12 cores is not gong to help. In fact…if the clock speed of the 12-core upgrade is slower than the clock speed of the 8-cores (and not all cores are used)…computing tasks could actually be slower.

As for the graphics card, I'm a bit at sea about it. There are some wizzbang cards out there, but they can run over $1000. There are also some cards, like the ATI Radeon 7970 that are much less. And do they work with this machine is always the big question.

You very easily could upgrade to a Radeon 5870 (almost 2x the performance of a 5770).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
You didn't mention what OS version it's running. But if it's an older version…the "obsolescence issue" is more likely to occur due to running an older OS version (and maybe older app versions)…than a hardware issue (at this point in time).

You didn't mention what computing tasks you do on this computer. But if those tasks are not maxing out the 8-cores presently available…12 cores is not gong to help. In fact…if the clock speed of the 12-core upgrade is slower than the clock speed of the 8-cores (and not all cores are used)…computing tasks could actually be slower.

You very easily could upgrade to a Radeon 5870 (almost 2x the performance of a 5770).

HTH,

- Nick

Sorry. The OS is 10.6. I was keeping it there because I didn't want to obsolete my film scanner, no longer supported by Silverfast. Just found a new (to me) scanner software called Vuescan that is compatible with Mavericks and beyond, so I'm planning to upgrade to Yosemite, when all this upgrading gets going.

I believe I said in my post that "I do an older version of Photoshop for art/photography/printmaking."

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OS is 10.6. I was keeping it there because I didn't want to obsolete my film scanner, no longer supported by Silverfast.

Totally understandable.:) But as I mentioned. You're going to run into more "obsolescence issues" running an older OS (like 10.6) than with obsolescence due to the hardware in a 2011 8-core Mac Pro 5,1.

Just found a new (to me) scanner software called Vuescan that is compatible with Mavericks and beyond, so I'm planning to upgrade to Yosemite, when all this upgrading gets going.

This sounds great. But then will upgrading the OS make your version of Photoshop incompatible…or other apps or hardware being used?

I believe I said in my post that "I do an older version of Photoshop for art/photography/printmaking."

Yes you did. But you didn't say which version.:) "Older version" could be just one version older than the most current. Or it could be a 10 year old version of Photoshop.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Totally understandable.:) But as I mentioned. You're going to run into more "obsolescence issues" running an older OS (like 10.6) than with obsolescence due to the hardware in a 2011 8-core Mac Pro 5,1.

This sounds great. But then will upgrading the OS make your version of Photoshop incompatible…or other apps or hardware being used?

Yes you did. But you didn't say which version.:) "Older version" could be just one version older than the most current. Or it could be a 10 year old version of Photoshop.

- Nick

You're right again. It's CS2, and there are a couple of other ancillary programs that I would lose and have to look for functional replacements.

One crux of all this is the death of my monitor. It was a topflight unit when it was new. These days, most people would consider it a doorstop, as I guess it is in reality. I don't think LaCie even makes monitors any more.

I'd like to get a 4K NEC to replace the LaCie, but that will take a new graphics card. So I thought, while I was at it, I would upgrade the CPUs at the same time - in effect, doing a complete make-over of the machine - as opposed to just purchasing a new Mac Pro trashcan, which seems to be going away slowly.

C

chas_m

I'm not quite seeing the rationale for your thinking on this Mac Pro. While I'm not suggesting you replace it per se, nothing you've indicated in your posts suggests that (if you were thinking of getting a new machine) that you need a Mac Pro -- indeed, based on what you've said I'd have pointed you to the Retina 5K iMac as a better option (and the Photographer's Bundle for an updated Photoshop).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's CS2…

Yes…CS2 is pretty old (2005ish)…as I'm sure you know. But I totally understand that if CS2 works for you…then you want to keep using it. Plus upgrades can be expensive. There are 5 versions newer Adobe Creative Suite.

It was a topflight unit when it was new. These days, most people would consider it a doorstop, as I guess it is in reality. I don't think LaCie even makes monitors any more.

I don't really see this as a "crux" necessarily. You could purchase a newer used "regular" flat panel monitor (that's just as good or better than this old monitor) for a lot less than a 4K monitor…and not need any computer hardware upgrades. Sure a 4K monitor would be nice…but do you REALLY need it (just asking).:)

I'd like to get a 4K NEC to replace the LaCie, but that will take a new graphics card. So I thought, while I was at it, I would upgrade the CPUs at the same time - in effect, doing a complete make-over of the machine - as opposed to just purchasing a new Mac Pro trashcan, which seems to be going away slowly.

If you really want a new 4K monitor…and if it needs a better graphics card to run it..no problem. But you can do this without a cpu upgrade (especially if you don't need an expensive cpu upgrade).

Just trying to suggest as simple & inexpensive a path as possible. Sounds to me you "mostly" really just need a replacement monitor (not necessarily a 4K monitor). But if you really want a 4K monitor…go for it.:) Just may not need the cpu upgrade as well.;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to both you and chas_m, I appreciate your efforts to keep the money outlay low. That is certainly a consideration. I am open to other paths with this, as well, chas.

I guess I've been thinking of the MacBook Pro as a "lighter weight" machine, compared to what the Mac Pro is (and what mine could be). I've always used Apple Desktops, going back to a tiny one in grad school in '80s, through an 8500, a 9600, a G4 dual 500, and then the one I have now.

I'd like to use the latest Photoshop because of the 3D stuff it does, and I'd like to upgrade to Yosemite, now that I've found a way to keep my 8"x10" film scanner going with Vuescan instead of Silverfast. I'd like it to go a lot faster. I'd like it to be able to house my four HHDs, and add a couple of SSDs, one as a boot drive and to run key programs on and one to write working image versions to while a piece is evolving.

I'd like to experience the challenge of doing a CPU upgrade myself, as I like to do things like that. Car stereos, gadget busting, unique work-arounds - these are things I like to do, and the Mac is ripe for it, and it's here and paid for, and I like it's throwback bulk and the ease of opening it up and digging around, though I haven't with this one as much as the G4 yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd like to experience the challenge of doing a CPU upgrade myself...

I'm not sure what the cpu upgrades look like that you've seen on eBay. But Apple made working with the cpu's on Mac Pro 4,1's and newer VERY easy…with the easy to remove cpu tray. If the eBay cpu upgrades already come on the tray…then it's an easy swap. If no tray…then just some easy to remove hardware to replace each cpu (off/on) the tray (see photo below).

The bigger challenge is paying for the upgrade!;)

program_main_2009-2012.jpg

Here's the OWC Mac Pro cpu "turn-key" cpu Mac Pro cpu upgrade page:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/MacPro/2010_Xeon_Processor

- Nick

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving a somewhat older thread here - but this seemed the most relevant to what I've been looking for.

I recently came into a 2010 5,1 12-core Mac Pro for very cheap, and even though the computer is overkill for what I'm looking to do with it (mostly gaming, World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc.), the cheap price made it attractive. The problem is that WoW is CPU bound, and the dual 6-cores are clocked at 2.66GHz. I've been looking around to see what my options are for getting a faster processor, and so far it seems like the best option (i.e. cheapest for my case) would be to swap out the 2x2.66 GHz 6-core processors (x5650) for 2x3.46 4-core processors (x5677).

However, I have no idea whether that's actually feasible. I see a lot of posts and information about upgrading trays and processors, but no one seems to be interested in downgrades. I know I could go with 2x3.46 6-core processors (x5690), but that would run me almost a grand, while the quad-cores are significantly cheaper. And I simply don't need the processing power of 12-cores. I don't need the processing power of 8 cores either, but this seems the cheapest route, as otherwise, I'd need a whole different single processor tray.

Can you shed any light on whether I'm going down the wrong path here?

(System is 5,1 2010 Mac Pro, running El Capitan).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a read of this Nicholas. The 2.66GHz CPUs reurn a GeekBench test score of over 20,000 so I really think what you have should absolutely eat those games. Perhaps more importantly is the gfx card installed and amount of memory you have. The ATI Radeon 5770/5870 are the standard cards. If you have the 5770 go for a 5870 as Nick suggested to the OP as the 5770 is showing its age and now the 6000 series are available.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2010-westmere-how-to-upgrade-processors.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
5870 Won't give you a huge performance boost if your coming from the 5770, great options would be the GTX680 Mac edition. Or the 7950 Mac edition, Both will boost 4k performance ALOT.
Keep in mind the 5870 is already a pretty old card (Late 09) and the 1gb frame buffer won't suffice for 4k.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.