• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I pad mini3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
Hi I have just been reading the latest Mac Forum mag and in the upgrade section it states that the I pad mini 3 is due for and upgrade in October 2015 do Apple normally upgrade the price as well, as my grandson would like one for his 18th and that is about our price limit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi I have just been reading the latest Mac Forum mag and in the upgrade section it states that the I pad mini 3 is due for and upgrade in October 2015 do Apple normally upgrade the price as well, as my grandson would like one for his 18th and that is about our price limit.

Hello - the cost of an iPad Mini will depend on whether the device is new, used, or refurbished (a good choice, especially if offered by Apple), and also on whether a Wi-Fi only vs. a cellular model is purchase and finally on the capacity (i.e. storage in GBs). Apple has discontinued the iPad Mini 3 model, so if that is desired a used or a refurb are you only options. If you want to buy 'new', then the choices are the Mini 2 or the Mini 4 - see the attached images (first, Source1; second, Apple Online).

SO, what is your budget? - does your grandson need a cellular device (vs. Wi-Fi only)? - remember w/ the former, a cellular plan will cost; also what capacity is desired? Dave :)

P.S. the 16 GB models are usually NOT recommended here for a variety of reasons, sorry.

P.S.S. depending on your 'budget' - check out Apple's refurbished models HERE - includes a one-year warranty.
Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 10.50.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 10.53.37 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We were only looking at the I pad 3 on Monday at the Apple store now its not even on display that's quick. on the specs you sent the big difference is the I Pad mini 4 the memory is N/A do you know why and is it a disadvantage over the Mini 3. I notice the ios is now 9 does that now negate the memory.

C

chas_m

The reason the RAM is listed as N/A is because Apple hasn't said, so we have to wait for it to become available and someone to do a teardown to find out, but it could be 1GB (matching the iPad mini 3) or 2GB (matching the iPad Air 2 the new one is modeled on). Don't know yet.

As for the iOS version, that's simply what it ships with -- the iPad mini 3 can run iOS 9 just fine, but it's an upgrade rather than automatically comes with it. The upgrade is free, so this is really a moot point. Since they are presently the same price, if I was buying one next week I'd certainly get the iPad mini 4 -- there's zero advantage to getting the iPad mini 3 at this point, though retailers will *probably* drop the price on that older model (once it actually is an older model, starting September 16) quite a bit to clear out stock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We were only looking at the I pad 3 on Monday at the Apple store now its not even on display that's quick. on the specs you sent the big difference is the I Pad mini 4 the memory is N/A do you know why and is it a disadvantage over the Mini 3. I notice the ios is now 9 does that now negate the memory.

Hi again - the iPad Mini 4 will certainly have at least 1 GB RAM as suggested by Chas_M but likely will have double that amount - don't know? You still have not told us your upper budget for this purchase which will vastly help to make a more specific recommendation(s) - Dave :)

C

chas_m

I forgot to mention that I was surprised to see that the iPad Mini 4 is actually 10 percent lighter and nearly 25 percent thinner than the iPad mini 3!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi thank you both for your very helpful replies as there is no price difference it would be mad not to get the ipad mini4 once again thanks. regards David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.