Excel 2016 will only open Excel file as read only with Macros

Reaction score
OK - I am VERY new to OSX. I have an excel file with some basic macros that go out to yahoo.com finance and download stock data. It also does some custom sorting for columns.

When I moved this file over to my new MacBook and tried to open it in Excel 2016 - it states This workbook contains content that isn't supported in this version of Excel."

The macros than appear to not be present in the file when opened in read only.

Can someone help me with what is going on. I was under the impression the excel 2016 for Mac supported VBA macros.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Office 2011 and Office 365 do support macros. However, if your macro was written for the Office version of Excel 2016 it may not work with the Office 365 version of Excel you're running on your Mac without recompiling it. Either that, or you may have macros turned off in Office 365. (A stand alone version of Office 2016 has not yet been released for the Mac.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry - I was not really clear in my first post.

The macros were written in Excel on a PC - I then emailed them to myself and put them on my MAC desktop. When I open the file in Office365 I get the error "This workbook contains content that isn't supported in this version of Excel."

It then appears that the macros no longer exist.

M

MacInWin

See if you can recreate the macros in the Office365 on the Mac. If you can, you've got them. If the functions you used on Windows aren't there in OS X, then complain to MS to add them to the OS X version. That's about all I can think of to help. If Excel refused to read the macros, there isn't any way to force it to do so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry - I was not really clear in my first post.

The macros were written in Excel on a PC - I then emailed them to myself and put them on my MAC desktop. When I open the file in Office365 I get the error "This workbook contains content that isn't supported in this version of Excel."

It then appears that the macros no longer exist.

As I stated in my first reply, you likely will have to recompile the Excel macro in order to get it to work with Office 365. I have had to recompile Word macros before, so it would depend on your knowledge of VBA whether or not your macro(s) will run. When Office 2016 is finally released stand alone for the Mac, it won't matter as you will run into the same problem. And don't expect MS to change things. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.