from macOs 10.6.8 to Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
experienced Photoshop user
Hi,

I want to buy a new computer, the 'dustbin' solid state MacPro. When I use Time Machine to transfer all my files and programs to my extern disc, and back to the new mac, will my Mail files be transfered undamaged? (and other stuff as well of course.)

Now I have McOs 10.6.8 on my aging MacPro. Is the step maybe to great from there to Yosemite??

Who can give me advise?

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to buy a new computer, the 'dustbin' solid state MacPro. When I use Time Machine to transfer all my files and programs to my extern disc, and back to the new mac, will my Mail files be transfered undamaged? (and other stuff as well of course.)

Now I have McOs 10.6.8 on my aging MacPro. Is the step maybe to great from there to Yosemite??

Who can give me advise?

Hi,
When using the Time Machine all your files should be fine. The only thing you should watch for programs going from OSX 10.6.8 to Yosemite might not work due to compatibility.

Yes you will notice a huge difference in boot up time and an more simple interface.

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx,

I expect CS5 will work fine (my professional software). The most important of course are my mail files. The rest I can upgrade I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
TM will do it well. the only problems you may have is files made with older PowerPC applications such as Office 2004. Office 2008 and anything later will be no problem. Most seem to have no problems with CS5:-

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1609716

M

MacInWin

And be careful with applications that are registered with their mother ship. MS products and most Adobe products are in this category. You need to deactivate/unregister the software on the old machine, then reinstall and activate/register on the new to transfer the license. You may even need to call the companies involved to get them to facilitate the transfer, although that should NOT be necessary if the process works. And no OS X after 10.6.8 supported Rosetta, so any apps that needed that will not work. That is what harryb2448 was referring to.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless Microsoft has changed the rules for moving their products from one machine to another, it's not necessary to "de-register" or "de-activate" them first as long as they have not been activated in the last 120 days. They will be automatically de-activated upon activating them again on the new machine. Anything less than 120 days usually requires a call to MS. All of what I just wrote, may have changed in the last several years as this was their policy at one time. I can't speak about Adobe as I do not own any of their products nor have I ever done business with them.

M

MacInWin

chscag, I'll just say that I have a 3-licence bundle from MS and when I replaced one of the three with a new machine, it balked, saying all three licenses were used. I had to call MS to explain what I was doing, at which time the tech said I should have unregistered the license on the old machine first. They may have changed the practice since then, but that was my experience so I shared it. YMMV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know Jake... that was not my experience with the three license version which I also own (MS Office 2011). I moved Office twice and finally to the third machine where it now resides. Never a peep from MS. However, when I loaded it on my El Capitan public beta it required activation again. Sometimes it's hard to figure MS. And by the way, they no longer sell the three license version of Office.

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I heard that when you use Time Machine to copy ALL the files (also the system files of 10.6.8 ) to the new system, Yosemite picks up the relevant files and leaf the rest intact. If so, my program and psd-files will run under Yosemiet withiout any problem.
True or false?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Generally it should work as you say. I've done just that three times with newer Macs and always had success. However, going from a very old version of OS X (10.6.8) to the newest may cause you to run into some glitches; not with OS X, but with your applications. Keep in mind that versions of OS X past Snow Leopard do not include Rosetta which means that older applications that ran fine may not run at all in Yosemite. Make sure you have a cloned backup on hand before you proceed. We recommend using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for your comments but I still have problems. I may be stupid but with Time Machine I do not know how to put the files from my old computer via TM on my new. I succeeded in making TM copy all my old files on my external HD but copy them via TM to my new MacPro is not clear. The prompts are also most confusing. TM only sees the external (select disk) but should it not discover the drive in my new MacPro where to put the files to? Also, I fear that when I should copy them by dragging the files manually some programs do not work and the system itself is not adapted. What to do? Also, if all goes wrong how can I make a clean install of El Capitan since I do not have the CD from where to start up. Can anybody give me advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hook up the external drive to the new Mac Pro and power on and make sure it appears on the desktop. Then go to Utilities > Migration Assistant nd bring things over. Anything not compatible will be placed in a folder, usually on the desktop, with a "NO" on it.

You download El Capitan from the App Store. Suggest you burn a copy to an 8GB thumb drive using DiskMaker X version 5.01 (see the link). Then boot from the thumb drive a la holing down 'C'after a reboot and proceeding.

Sorry Theo forgot the link:-

http://diskmakerx.com

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

If you follow harryb2448's directions, and if you have already established an account in the new version of OS X, the files will end up in a different folder than yours. What happens is Migration Assistant will create a new account so that it doesn't overwrite anything in YOUR account. That's safe, but to get the files to YOUR account you have to move them. The best way to do that is to go to that new account and login. It will use the same login and password as it had when the backup was made. Now select any files/folders you see and want and move them to Shared. Once you have them in shared, you can then log out, go to your own account and move them from shared to your folders, wherever you want them.

Now, if you don't want to go through all that, then attach the backup drive and then click on the TimeMachine icon on the Dock (across the bottom). What should happen is that the desktop is replaced by a Finder window in the middle of the TimeMachine desktop. Along the right side will be a column of dates that you can use to pick the date you want to restore from. When you pick a date, the Finder window will change, reflecting your system at the time of that backup. Now you can select files or Folders and then "restore" and they will be restored to YOUR account directly. It may take a while as the files will be coming over to the internal through a slower interface, but they will eventually be restored.

Finally, if you reinstall OS X and follow the process once it is installed, at some point it will ask you if you want to restore from a TM backup. At that point, before you have established an account, if you say "yes" then it will create a new user account from that TM backup, again using the same login name and password as when the backup was made. The files will then be restored to the same location as they came from and when it is all done you can simply log in and everything should be as it was, assuming all the applications you have will work with the new OSX.

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

The best thing I can do to transfer my old files to my new MacPro is to download Yosemity, put it on a disk and start up with c , then when it asks me in the process of making a account if there are files to copy from, my external is ready to supply the content that I made earlier via TM on my old compter? Am I right or am I right? The only way to make it simpler, because there are no important files yet on my new. Clean install: no damage...

C

chas_m

That's right. Setup Assistant will handle bringing over the files when the time comes in the setup process.

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW it works. CS5 and all programs except Snapz pro work. Thank you all for your advice...But... all my jpeg images open in :(Dutch) 'voorvertoning'.In previous MacOs systems you could choose for an image for a special programm like photoshop to open all those files. How can I make the same switch? I want to open jpegs as .psd files. In El Capitan I cannot find the clue. After this I won't bother you all again (maybe)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After this I won't bother you all again (maybe)

Don't forget to visit often…"just because".:) Help others with your knowledge…and participate in conversations.:)

- Nick

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW it works. CS5 is okay but jpeg files open in (Dutch) 'voorvertoning' and not in Photoshop. How can I change this? In older versions this was very simple when you press I. Here it is different in El Capitan.
After this I won't bother you again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After this I won't bother you again.

Don't forget to visit often…"just because".:) Help others with your knowledge…and participate in conversations.:)

- Nick

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry, messages did not come through soon enough. Of course I will follow discussions, but this problem is solved, thanx to the members.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.