Macbook Pro Unibody 13" useless and slow HELP!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Hello everyone! I know that there are probably questions out there like this, but I don't even know where to start. I have a Macbook Pro Unibody, about 7 years old.

It is to the point now where I can't even open Safari and go to a website (using my Ipad now). I will get the spinning beachball or even nothing (just a clicker, then the whole computer restarts). Will display Your computer had a problem and restarted, press any Key to continue start-up.

About a month ago I wiped the computer using the disk utility and then repaired the disk permissions and havent reinstalled Microsoft office or any other programs and it is still Slow!!!

I don't feel like my computer is dead and useless, but I don't know where to go from here. I don't want to spend a ton of money on fixing something if I will just have more problems in 6 months.
I also dont want to give this one away for cheap and buy a new computer if its not done

Will using the install disk that came with the computer do anything?

Here are the specs from "About my mac"
Please let me know if any other info will help or if anyone has any suggestions

Thanks in advance;

Mac OS versino 10.10.3
Pocessor; 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo
Memory; 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Storage; 137.5GB of 159GB Free

Looking at the "System report" now, slowly, will update after it opens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
that 2 Gb of memory surely doesn't help the performance upgrading it to 4gb would help a lot! i say that out of experience since i owned an unibody pro as well . maybe the problem is your hard drive ? have you ever replaced it or is it original?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hard drive is original, and I also read online about replacing hard drives in laptops after a few years of use. We don't use the computer to store anything anymore so I don't know if upgrading the memory would do much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Memory isn't for storing things my friend :p it helps the cpu doing tasks. As for the Hard drive that may be the problem another hard drive isn't really expensive. If you want to go all out put an SSD in it as i did with mine it really speeds things up though they are a bit expensive. Hope this helps!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AAANNNND thats why im on a forum :). I just looked into some hard drives for around $50-$100. Might not be a bad option to see if that fixes any issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Sata 3 is backwars compatible with sata 2 wich is what your mac uses. I used an adata 512gb xpg 900 sata 3 ssd in mine it it worked right out of the box. You will need to format the drive to mac os journaled but that is no problem at all. In short it should work just fine and is a pretty dahm good upgrade

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awsome, I appreciate your help, hopefully this reawakens my laptop so I don't have to drop another $1000. I will let you know how it works out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you do a search of the Threads we have had some cases of 6Gb/ps not being backwards compatible. This applies in particaular to pre 2009 models which may fit yours.

Recall Samsung EVA was one of these types.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OWC (Otherworld Computing) is a good source for compatibility info for RAM and SSDs, plus they have helpful 'How To' videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes as raving mac said look on owc they have the best install guides in fact that is the one i used to replace mine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect, I will take a look guys, thank you. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but hoping to order something soon

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So as a last resort I tried a few things, which failed. Just looking for some insight as to whether this points to harddrive issues or?....not sure

I tried Repairing disk permissions and found issues, which were fixed, according to the disk utility, but upon restarting the computer, same issues, even worst now.

Tried to re-install OSX, download started strong (10 minutes download time), then froze after about 2 minutes and stayed that way for hours, stuck at estimated 52 minutes (Disk utility was not frozen, just the download)

let me know if anyone has any thoughts on if this would be a hardware issue

Thanks for the help again.

C

chas_m

It's really hard to tell what's going on and I'd suggest you have a tech look at it, but it's a seven-year-old MBP (so 2008) with its original hard drive -- yeah, I'm going to go with the hard drive (quite undertandably) dying. For a machine of that vintage, an SSD replacement is highly recommended if you're willing to spend the money (and they're not THAT pricey if you can keep your capacity needs low -- they only look expensive compared to traditional spinning drives on a capacity basis). But any new hard drive (and more RAM) would almost certainly make that machine hum again, particularly with an SSD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got OSX re-installed and downloading an update now. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! This Macbook is faster than it was brand new, Itunes opens instantly, not a single hint of lag whatsoever. If anyone is thinking about upgrading to an SSD just do it.

Thanks for all your help guys

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You are very welcome :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.