Memory usage.

Reaction score
There's this:
The operating system treats each desktop icon just like a full-size Finder window—the icon takes up a chunk of memory, and the system has to track its position and size at all times. Drop enough files and folders on your desktop, and you may start to notice side effects (such as spinning beach balls) when you’re trying to do something as simple as open a new Finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Along these same lines, does it matter how many icons one has in their dock? I have a bunch in mine, even ones I seldom if ever use but just have them there just for simplicity so I don't have to go looking for them. Does this use up ram space or just the ones out on the desktop (which I do not have except for the harddrive icon obviously)?

Reaction score
I thinks it is be interesting to know if icon in the Doc use more resources.
It clear to see having things on your desktop does.
Does this apply to the Doc?
I know one thing for sure that dashboard widget thing gobbles to much memory if you have alot of them.

Reaction score
Les Exposé said:
I know one thing for sure that dashboard widget thing gobbles to much memory if you have alot of them.
Stop Dashboard is a widget that doesn't prevent it from working. Rather than simply closing any widget, click on the widget Stop Dashboard to save your RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.