macbook late 2007 random black screens

Reaction score
Hello all i need help

I have a black macbook late 2007 model. i have had this for about 3 years (got it off ebay)

After a year the hard drive died so i replaced it with a 250gb SSD its been fine ever since
Now its started to develop another problem, the screen will do black randomly i have to close the lid and open it again a few times and it comes back on

after a bit of searching on the internet it suggests something about a WXGA tube??
Does this need a new screen?
or is the macbook dying??
I'm using it now to post this message the screen went black when i switched it on then came to life when osx had loaded.

Please help any ideas ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a very old machine which may not be worth spending much money on. The black outs may be due to a bad video cable (LVDS) or could even be an intermittent backlight problem. If it's the cable, that can be replaced for around $40, but if it's the backlight, you won't know if it's the inverter or the tube itself that's bad. Do some more internet digging and you'll get an idea of repair and cost. Go to iFixit: The Free Repair Manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.