MS word version X from 2003 on Yosemite?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have my MS word office disks from 2003 "designed exclusively for OS X" I teach at a school and the computer I was given is a macbook pro with yosemite installed. We do not have MS Word on these computers--for reasons not worth explaining here. Is there a way to install this version of MS word on this computer? I did get the discs installed, but they won't open...how can I do this?
I don't mind using an old version, it is better than nothing!

Thanks so much!

D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'll take a guess that the MS Office version you have is too old and just won't work with your OS X Yosemite and you'll need a later version or use an alternative application.

You can get more details here if you can figure out the actual compatibility:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office#Compatibility

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way to install this version of MS word on this computer? I did get the discs installed, but they won't open...how can I do this?

You can't. MS Word versions prior to Office 2008 will not work with Yosemite. Older versions of Office need Rosetta in order to work. Any version of OS X later than Snow Leopard (10.6.X) does not contain Rosetta. The oldest version of Word that you can use is 2008. Why don't you use the free LibreOffice or even Pages?

OP
D
Reaction score
You can't. MS Word versions prior to Office 2008 will not work with Yosemite. Older versions of Office need Rosetta in order to work. Any version of OS X later than Snow Leopard (10.6.X) does not contain Rosetta. The oldest version of Word that you can use is 2008. Why don't you use the free LibreOffice or even Pages?

Thanks for these ideas, I just looked at LibreOffice and it looks like a good option. All useful applications were deleted from our school computers --only "notes" for writing. I was looking for a workaround and was hoping my old word discs would work!

C

chas_m

Every and any sort of Mac word processor -- from TextEdit to Pages to LibreOffice to (fill in any name you like) -- can read and write MS Word format files. I don't know your particular situation, but this really is kind of a non-issue, not being able to run Word itself, for most users and in most situations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.