Time Machine with Netgear D6200

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been trying to set up Time Machine to work over wifi with my Netgear D6200 and a powered WD 2TB hard drive plugged into the USB.

I followed these steps here:
http://sketchytech.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/setting-up-netgear-readyshare-wifi.html

My initial backup, albiet very slow, seems to work. The problem is when it goes to do the next backup I get an error saying the drive cannot be found and to please try again when the harddrive is plugged in.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The harddrive always worked when plugged in direct to my rMBP.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I explored this before I came to the conclusion that it would be far simpler, quicker and more stable to use a wired connection from the Ext HDD to the machine. Time Capsule looks very impressive particularly if you're sharing it with other machines though.
Here are some instructions for setting your drive up first before connecting and then the procedure to follow with your router. I just had a problem recently with a completely new back up that after it's first one just got stuck on 'Preparing Back Up' for days and never resolved itself so I turned off TM, ejected the drive, powered everything down and disconnected it all for a while and it's been working fine since. It might be just a switch that needs resetting hence the message, something might have just latched on and not released. All I can suggest for the mo.

Use an external hard drive for wireless Time Machine backup

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Hey pendlewitch. Thanks for your reply, I've only just seen it.
I'm off to work now but will have a look at it when I get home tonight.
Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.