Why?

K

Kreza

Why are apple macs so expensive? Im not moaning, I bought my iBook off Ebay for a good price, but i think that is why PC is so appealing to people. I know im not stupid but people who dont know anything about PC's go straight to Dell and (they are shite) they offer them the latest stuff (which they buy the cheapest possible parts) and £799 or $1000 and then an apple mac bottom of the range is like $1000 whats up with that?

P.s. never buy a dell (I didn't but my friend did) they solder over your AGP slots so you cannot upgrade your graphics card, they make you buy a new PC to get a better graphics card!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Apple's last much longer then any other PC's. The price you pay almost evens out with PC's because of all the upgrades and repairs you will have to do on a pc over the max shelf life of like 4years of them. Many people here have had their macs for 5 years or more and still run great.

OP
K

Kreza

trpnmonkey41 said:
Apple's last much longer then any other PC's. The price you pay almost evens out with PC's because of all the upgrades and repairs you will have to do on a pc over the max shelf life of like 4years of them. Many people here have had their macs for 5 years or more and still run great.

true, never thought of that, needed points to argue mac over pc against my mates, thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple's keep their resell value much longer than PC's also.

sKaD

OP
L

lzasitko

mac vs pc

Kreza said:
Why are apple macs so expensive? Im not moaning, I bought my iBook off Ebay for a good price, but i think that is why PC is so appealing to people. I know im not stupid but people who dont know anything about PC's go straight to Dell and (they are shite) they offer them the latest stuff (which they buy the cheapest possible parts) and £799 or $1000 and then an apple mac bottom of the range is like $1000 whats up with that?

P.s. never buy a dell (I didn't but my friend did) they solder over your AGP slots so you cannot upgrade your graphics card, they make you buy a new PC to get a better graphics card!!!!!!!!!

Don't want to get into a flame war over which is best but I own both pc's and macs. Outside of not going out of date as fast and retaining value I have found that macs do not have some of the memory problems that pc's seem to have. I have an iMac and an Ibook and basically they are on all the time and very seldom do I have to reboot. The iMac has been on and running for several months and never a problem. The PC's that I have and use (a Toshiba Portable with win 98se and two desktops, a Athalon 1800 with win XP Pro and a celeraon 633 with win ME). The portable with win 98se is the most stable of the bunch, my Athalon with XP is a out and out memory hog and does not realease it properly which means that I reboot the stupid thing 2 or 3 times a day, ME seems to be better then XP in memory management and sometimes it will go all day before I have a crash or have to reboot :) The only reason I have the PC's is in my business I use Autocad and Lightscape rendering, if the programers would get smart and make versions of these for the Mac OSX then I would not need the PC's

True plug and play on the Macs is great, just plug it in and go, not near the hassles as in Windoze....

All in all I have a lot fewer problems with macs.

Larry Zasitko

OP
I

ipmedia

There are a few reasons a Mac is more costly then a PC (to begin with, not in the long run!). For one, you get quality in every angle, from graphics card (no no-name or cheap brands with liscenced chips), hard drives, connections (firewire etc), down to the keyboard and mouse. The quality is always top of the line. A cheap PC will have some cheap board, cheap RAM, and so on. Apple's main stand point is to use high quality parts in their systems, wich also ensures compatibilty.
Then you get a supirior OS shipped right along with it. And, you'll find that even most of the newest software is always compatible with older versions of Mac Os (9). This means in the long run, in order to keep up with rapidly developing software world you won't need to upgrade your Mac like you do a PC at least once or twice a year. So in the long run, you get a high end machine, that ends up being cheaper then a PC you buy today, which is however oudated next week and un-compatible.

OP
W

Wizard

Macs cost more because a) they are better quality and b) they are pretty and Apple is good at marketing.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I will say more along the lines of research and development costs.

OP
X

Xyphus

I would say supply and demand have a lot to do with it too... PCs you can get just about anywhere... You can walk into your local Wal-Mart and pick up software or hardware that will work in just about any generic PC... Hence, the glut causes prices to fall...

Macs on the other hand, you have to buy from a licensed reseller, and you really don't find them on any street corner. (There is not a single one in my area.. The closest is either in Chicago Illinois, or in Indianapolis Indiana...) Other than that, there is only mail order...

So, I am sure that this reflects in increased prices along with other factors...

(not to imply that the quality of the MAC is lacking, just the availability...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.