Image corrupted..or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
During the transfer of images from my SD card to my iMac, a large number of images were lost (The card reader I believe being the cause of this). In all I lost around 250 images from our recent holiday. Using Softtote Photo Recovery I've managed to recover around have of these completely and around 80 seem lost for ever. The rest... well I'm not sure. When viewed in Preview at a small size they appear to be intact, but as the image size is increased part of the image is lost. When viewed full size it's only the corrupted image that is shown.

So can anyone suggest how can the complete image be shown as a small 'icon' if it's corrupted. Secondly, is there hope of recovering theses 'corrupted' images? Finally, recommendations please for other photo recovery programs (I've already tried Wondershare and Data Recovery Free) to try to recover the corrupted and remaining 'totally lost' files.

These two Finder screen shots (each showing four images) show the problem as the image size is enlarged. Only image 192 is affected in this example - though images 190, 191 and 193 to 195 are missing completely.
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 07.52.54.png Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 07.53.15.png

Last edited:
OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Missing images

I'm certainly no expert - have you tried a different card reader or viewing the camera's photo's via a usb connection instead? Were the photos deleted after import?

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi 2012MacMiniUser. When used with USB lead the card is not recognised by the recovery software, nor finder and camera itself now reports card is empty. However, I did get a new card reader and reusing the Photo Recovery software I have managed to get back the majority of the missing/damaged images. I guess the images remaining missing, now thankfully few, are lost for ever. I'm still intrigued to know why when mini images in Finder are very small the corrupted image is shown as complete but as I scale up the image it is shown in its corrupted state. Incidentally, I have now recovered the corrupted image shown above. Does a jpg image also contain a mini icon sized image?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.