10.3.2 performance

F

furfurfur

Hi All

Just updated to 10.3.2, and I notice that it seems a little slower, especially when starting up. My desktop items take a lot longer to appear than before. I haven't heard anyone else mention this, so anyone got any ideas? I'm quite new to OS X so I'm not sure if there's anything I can do apart from fixing permissions, which I've done.

Also - is it possible to back out an installed update?

Cheers,
James

OP
K

kena

I'll Second That

I've got the same problem plus the font sizes in Mail and Safari are all wacked. I can't get them to respond to the preference size.
Ken A

OP
F

Fomer

kena said:
I've got the same problem plus the font sizes in Mail and Safari are all wacked. I can't get them to respond to the preference size.
Ken A

Your's maybe 'cause of a rename to either the Library or Home Folder both which can't be done without messing things up. :)

OP
K

Kreza

Fomer said:
Your's maybe 'cause of a rename to either the Library or Home Folder both which can't be done without messing things up. :)

I just wiped my HDD and downgraded to 10.2 because 10.3 was screwed and has nothing really to offer me, it wouldnt hold my data, when i restarted, it would lose all the sys preferences i would set.

p.s. fomer what is you ichat/aim, be faster cos your always there when im in trouble :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I haven't had that problem really. The first boot up was a little slow but now it probably takes about 10 seconds to boot up realistically maybe 20 seconds. I should time it, but it's extremely fast, but I don't shut down or restart my comp much.

sKaD

OP
F

furfurfur

hey guys, look at macfixit.com for the answer to the slow startup thingy. improved the situation greatly for me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have been using 10.3.2 since it was first released with no problems at all on it

OP
K

kena

The fix works

furfurfur said:
hey guys, look at macfixit.com for the answer to the slow startup thingy. improved the situation greatly for me :)

You are correct Sir,

In Terminal I entered (per Apple Tech Help) sudo In -s
/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl/usr/sbin. Restarted twice and presto the boot time is back to its normal quick time. This is first time I used Terminal and without Tech Supports help I wouldn't have done it (fear of the unknown).
Ken A

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.