iPhoto

C

chas_m

Currently running iPhoto 9.6.1 which works in my Beta Test Version of El Capitan with no problems I can detect.

Actually, there is an issue ... but you may not have detected it. As of El Capitan, Photo Stream only goes to Photos, not iPhoto. May or may not be a big deal depending on whether you use that feature, and the rest of iPhoto does indeed seem to work fine.

C

chas_m

By the way, you guys ... Macphun has some standalone photo apps in the Mac App Store like Noiseless, Focus 2, and Snapheal ... they all now work with Photos!! Let me tell ya ... this takes Photos to a WHOLE NEW level. I have the "pro" version of these and I use them in Photoshop, but most people don't have regular Photoshop and maybe wouldn't want to spend the $$ on the pro versions ... but now you don't have to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5, have always updated iPhoto when prompted, and now I see that it's 9.5.1. No update available to 9.6. So you guys are saying I'll lose iPhoto if I upgrade to the new OSX?
Hi. I'm in exactly the same position. On the one hand I am advised that I should update to iPhoto 9.6.1, which is impossible, if I want it to work with Yosemite/El Capitan. Others say it 'should' work OK. Unable to get a definitive answer and best advice seems to be to pack up my iMac and drive it 100 miles to the nearest Apple Store for them to sort (what and wait for them to upgrade to El Capitan too?). Have raised the question on Apple Support Forums but they were as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Has anyone on here gone from Mavericks and iPhoto 9.5.1 and updated to El Capitan who can actually tell us the result without the supposition?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks Sly for posting this. I am sure it will help many others who do not know.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Works fine in El Capitan for me. So long as the pre mentioned conditions are met. Ie. updated to 9.5.1 prior to Yosemite upgrade.

C

chas_m

I'm in exactly the same position. On the one hand I am advised that I should update to iPhoto 9.6.1, which is impossible, if I want it to work with Yosemite/El Capitan. Others say it 'should' work OK.

Those "others" are incorrect. There is a simple, definitive answer: if your copy of iPhoto isn't at 9.6.1, it **WILL NOT WORK** in Yosemite or El Capitan.

The good news is that it really doesn't matter: Photos is perfectly fine in El Capitan except for round-tripping (but as noted above, this plug-in thing may make that moot over time).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Chas_m - I appreciate your answering this thread but can you please tell us all how to get iPhoto to 9.6.1 from Mavericks. Deleting 9.5.1 and reloading from App store doesn't work - you get 9.5.1 again. Taking iMac to Apple store is not an option either. I see that Rod S says 9.5.1 works - only one of you can be correct. Pistols at dawn?

C

chas_m

Ha! No, but maybe Rod could post a screen shot of iPhone with the version number showing running El Cap? I think he just typo'd on the version number (which I've never done ... <whistles>).

The fundamental problem Northroad is having is that he/she didn't upgrade to Yosemite, and now it is too late. The 9.6.x update was so that iPhoto would work under *Yosemite,* and thus isn't available for Mavericks users.

Read this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6986852?start=0&tstart=0

Bottom line: if you can't get the upgrade from Apple and can't copy over the iPhotos application from someone running Yosemite, you may be out of luck. Mavericks is still supported for another year or two, however, so you can continue to use iPhoto and just stay there for a little while -- your iPhoto library will be gracefully imported into Photos when you get a new machine or upgrade the OS, and contrary to myth the program is 95 percent the same thing as iPhoto, at least in El Capitan (some improvements have been made since the feature-bare 1.0 release). Photos is nothing to be afraid of, and chances are by the time you move over to it you will, after a short period of relearning awkwardness, love it -- since it does nearly everything iPhoto did, but faster and better. Believe me I was VERY VERY reluctant to switch over (and still haven't fully done so), but the more I work with Photos the more obvious it becomes that it is a whiter (not crazy about that), 64-bit modern, faster, and mostly superior version of iPhoto. Aperture people have a reason to be disappointed; iPhoto users largely do not (but are just cranky about the re-arranged furniture, and I get that).

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good info there chas_m. That may explain why some folks are not able to find the iPhoto update even after deleting/moving iPhoto.

Thanks Sly for posting this. I am sure it will help many others who do not know.

Thanks Dennis. I was really disappointed with Photos and lack of editing capability until I read that article. Hopefully it helps aa few folks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I, along with many others it does seem, disliked the change to Photos but after exploring tools etc decided somewhere along the line, either with El Capitan or the next release, iPhotos will be culled so I deleted it before coming to El Capitan General Release and truly I think it is only the thought of change, and of course learning new ways of doing things, that causes most problems. We humans are often like dinosaurs and resist any change to our lives.

Give Photos a serious try folks. Of course any application like this will be found wanting by professional photographers and the really, serious keen amatuers.

C

chas_m

To be fair, there were some things that just weren't present in version 1.0 that are there now in 1.2 (like geotagging and who knows how much more), but that's my point: like most other of Apple's revamps, version 1.0 of the new thing isn't as good as version 8.x was of the old thing, but pretty soon (or at least at some point) it catches up and often surpasses the old thing. It's annoying when you're going through it, but in the end it is generally worth it. For me, Photos is just starting to get really good, but I'd rather have to suffer a few months with the transition than for Apple to just have to deprecate iPhoto (because its too much work to bring "up to spec" on newer machines) and replace it with nothing.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ah, oops, I thought I edited that. Got me there chas. Retraction forthcoming.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.