how to Remove a guest from Mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone so Ive looked and tried to remove a guest setting on the desktop on my iMac. I've tried going to user&/groups, clicked on the guest icon and hit the "-" below it (which is grayed out). Its says under the guest that it is offline and it would let me remove it. I don't know what Im doing wrong. Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The Guest account in Users & Groups is a built in account that is part of OS X and can not be deleted. You can turn it off - which I always do.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say you have a guest setting on the desktop? I am not sure what you mean.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you referring to the "Guest" account showing up when you log on? If you log off and then log on, your user name account and the Guest account will appear on the desktop. However, like Lisa stated, the Guest account can not be removed, only disabled.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So how do I disable the guess icon.

You can't. If you don't want the Guest selection to appear, don't log off. Put your iMac to sleep and require a password to waken it.

Reaction score
The only way to disable the guest account is to turn off 'Back to My Mac' in System Preferences.
It needs it to work.

Edit: at least that's what I found. I have it off and still have a Guest account.
Again edit: Ok, unlock the prefs (red arrow) and click where blue arrow is. Back to My Mac still needs to be off.

Monosnap 2015-08-29 18-20-14.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.