OS X book recommendations

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good book to get started with (OS X Tiger). Yes, I am new to Macs and I realize the best way to learn the OS is to USE it, however, I am holding out till I get the dinero for what I want. Anyway, I am looking for an entry level book but I would like to avoid the "Dummy" books cause I just hate those...any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
mac osx, tiger edition: the missing manual by david pogue
pretty well written book; very easy to understand.

i'd say take a trip to your local library; i just checked here at work and we have about 20+ books on osx tiger in our system.

U

UncSki1218

yeah i also reccomend missing manuals. i have a bunch of different ones. they have a really good rep. well written and easy to understand. they toss in a little humor but not annoyingly like the dummies series.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I third the Missing Manual series. The dummies books are great, but not for programming or operating systems :p I got the Tiger Missing Manual when I got my Cube (first Mac!) this past December. The Missing Manual for Windows switchers is pretty good, but I wanted a clean start, and after comparing them at the local bookstore, I went with the full-on Tiger Missing Manual. Pogue has a really good and easily readable style of writing, it really makes you want to get in and play with OS X. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...66-4760746?_encoding=UTF8?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I just bought it. Looks like a great book, and what's the next best thing to sitting in front of your Mac? Reading about it! :)

Mark

T

tortoise

BigBear said:
i'd say take a trip to your local library; i just checked here at work and we have about 20+ books on osx tiger in our system.

Wow, you have a very nice library then. I think the newest computer book at my library covers Windows 3.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 1.83 Core Duo / 12" G4 iBook / 3G iPod (white) / 5G Video iPod (black)
Although I have not looked at many others, The Missing Manual is a good one.

It's size is rather imposing, but it appears to have just about everything a user would need.

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
MichaelMcKenzie said:
Although I have not looked at many others, The Missing Manual is a good one.

It's size is rather imposing, but it appears to have just about everything a user would need.

Michael

Yeah, plus it's very easy to read. You can easily burn through a chapter a day without getting overwhelmed.

tortoise, I know what you mean man :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Got it!!

Based on your recommendations - I picked up the Missing Manual book. Excellent! I tore through the first 100 pages the first night. Hightly recommended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.