Carbon Cloned Mac Pro 3.1 HD will not work in a Mac Pro 4.1

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my Mac Pro and bought a 4.1 model. I have Carbon Cloned the drive in my "old" 3.1 Mac Pro, the new drive boots fine in the 3.1 Mac Pro. THe New cloned drive only gets a blinking folder with a question mark in the "new" Mac Pro 4.1.
The same thing happens with the original 3.1 HD.
Is there some reason the 4.1 Mac Pro would not see a drive from a 3.1?
Any help greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If I am understanding you correctly and you are using Carbon Copy Cloner, here is an article I found that sounds like what you are attempting.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/can-i-back-up-one-computer-and-use-clone-restore-another-computer

It sounds like you need to tell the 4.1 where the boot drive is. The article gives some solutions. Another option would be to attach the carbon copy clone drive and start the 4.1 while holding down the C key to select the drive.

Lisa

OP
L
Reaction score
Mac Pro 4.1 will not recognize any of the drives from a Mac Pro 3.1??????

If I am understanding you correctly and you are using Carbon Copy Cloner, here is an article I found that sounds like what you are attempting.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/can-i-back-up-one-computer-and-use-clone-restore-another-computer

It sounds like you need to tell the 4.1 where the boot drive is. The article gives some solutions. Another option would be to attach the carbon copy clone drive and start the 4.1 while holding down the C key to select the drive.

Lisa

OK, so I have found the problem has nothing to do with Carbon Copy, seems no matter what drive I put in the 4.1 system from the 3.1 system, the 4.1 does not see the drive at all...nothing comes up in disk utility.....and all drives including the new cloned drive work great in the 3.1...any suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Am I correctly understanding that no drives are seen in the 4.1? That seems to suggest that the drive cable might be bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You popping the drive into Bay One and seating home firmly? if this is a new to you machine, try removing the gfx card and reseating it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Will try reseating the graphics card...the strange thing is I can boot the 4.1 machine with the drive it came with out of any of the 4 slots, but no slots recognize anyu of the three drives I've tried that came from my 3.1 system....seems bizarre to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Next thought is the operating system on the 3.1 drives. You cannot boot a Mac from an operating system older than itself. Say the 3.1 drives had OS X.6.8 Snow Leopard, and the 4.1 came originally with Lion OS X.7, the Snow Leopard drives will never boot.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help...I have figured out the problem which was a very odd one. All the 3.1 drives are a firm fit in the 4.1. But when I tried to put the 4.1 drive in the 3.1 system there was no way....it seems the sleds are spaced quite differently, and when I was installing the 3.1 sleds in the 4.1 the connectors were actually outside the female side.....I took a drive off the sled and slipped it on the connector and booted immediately...sooo...off to the hardware store to get a batch of spacers.
Thank you again for all your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
That is really interesting. I will have to stick what you have discovered in my "things to remember" file. Thanks for letting us know what you figured out.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.