Some keyboard keys not working on MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Since the recent 10.10.4 update, some keys on my built in keyboard do not function when pressed once but when pressed rapidly, they produce erratic strings of letters. Such as this one, compliments of the "U" key: IORTUYeqrtw. Other keys that don't work properly are P M J ; and 7. I used compressed air to clean under the keys but nothing changed. I also checked the keyboard settings and nothing is abnormal. I‘ve searched the forums and could only find issues relating to USB or bluetooth keyboards. The only way I was able to type this was to use Keyboard Viewer. Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

C

chas_m

Someone -- not necessarily you -- has been eating and drinking over that keyboard, I'll wager.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, that is not the case. Also, I don't believe that would explain several keys in different areas malfunctioning yet the adjacent ones still work fine.

M

MacInWin

Actually, yes it would. The way the keyboard is translated does not necessarily mean that you would lose an adjacent set of keys from a component failure. For example, all the keys in your example IORTUeqrtw are in the top row of letters, which sort of points to the sensor for the top row being erratic.

Is your battery swollen? It could be pressing on the bottom of the keyboard if it is.

You can also try an SMC reset (search for it) to see if that resets your keyboard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, that makes sense but I'm pretty sure that has not happened. Not sure if if the battery is swollen because it is the non-removable type (Mid 2009). Also, I tried resetting the SMC (Shift+Ctrl+Option+Power) the MagSafe light did not change but the battery charge indicator lights did turn on and then fade away. Anyway, that did not fix the problem. I also tried doing the NVRAM reset but was unsuccessful because the P key does not work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: I was able to reset the NVRAM with a USB keyboard (on which all the keys work) but still no dice on the built-in keyboard. Also a note concerning the 'same row, IORTUeqrtw' factor: After the reset, the pressing the 'P' key was input as pressing the 'Mute/Unmute key. Not that it changes much but, just a note that they're not just malfunctioning within the same row. Does anyone know of anything else I can try before an expensive visit to a repair technician?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your thread was moved here which is the appropriate forum for the subject. (Per your request.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.