Problems loading PDF's to my iPhone, Help

Reaction score
I am trying to load a couple of my PDF's to my iPhone through iTunes and it isn't working!! I go into add to library and select the files and nothing ends up on my iPhone??? Any ideas? Should I move the files by hand to to folder? But what folder?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Larry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where are you trying to load the PDF files to on your iPhone? For example, if you need them for an app on your iPhone, one way might be to use Dropbox. Load the PDF files to Dropbox on your Mac and then sync them from Dropbox on your iPhone. You can also use iCloud, OneDrive, to do the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am trying to load a couple of my PDF's to my iPhone through iTunes and it isn't working!! I go into add to library and select the files and nothing ends up on my iPhone??? Any ideas? Should I move the files by hand to to folder? But what folder?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi Larry - what computer are you using? If an Apple machine, what OS X & iOS are installed on each of your devices? In addition to the suggestions already given, you can simply email the PDFs to yourself and then open each in a compatible app on your iPhone; alternately, AirDrop is another choice if you're running the correct software - e.g. I opened the AirDrop folder on my MBPro in Finder (see attached pic) - the laptop detected my wife's iMac & my MBPro - I then dragged a PDF file from the laptop's SSD to the iPad icon (connected blue arrow) - the latter asked for my permission and offered over a dozen apps to open the file - took just seconds. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 5.57.46 PM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
When I work with iTunes, I am trying to add to my library to put it into the books on my iPhone. I don't have Air drop. How do you get it? I have OS X and I don't have Air Drop on my Mac! where is it located and do I have to load it separately?

OP
R
Reaction score
Where are you trying to load the PDF files to on your iPhone? For example, if you need them for an app on your iPhone, one way might be to use Dropbox. Load the PDF files to Dropbox on your Mac and then sync them from Dropbox on your iPhone. You can also use iCloud, OneDrive, to do the same thing.

To Books on my phone. It should be loading to the library that supports the Books function on the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
When I work with iTunes, I am trying to add to my library to put it into the books on my iPhone. I don't have Air drop. How do you get it? I have OS X and I don't have Air Drop on my Mac! where is it located and do I have to load it separately?

To Books on my phone. It should be loading to the library that supports the Books function on the phone.

Hi again - have you tried to email the PDFs to yourself; then on the iPhone, you need to download the file(s) from your mail app and will be asked in which app to open each (I usually use iBooks or GoodReader).

As to AirDrop, click the link for the requirements, basically you need Yosemite on your Mac and the most recent iOS on your iPhone - with those installed, you should then see the feature on your computer in Finder. Dave :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but iBooks is not a great PDF reader as far as I know. if you want to load and read PDF files on your iPhone you need to download a two part application like MyDocsToGo or try an iPhone app like Readdle's Documents 5. i used to be a MyDocsToGo fan but a swapped to Documents 5 a year ago when I updated to the iPhone 5s and I love it. It renders PDF's very well and does a lot more as well and it's free. Found here, https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/documents-5-fast-pdf-reader/id364901807?mt=8

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Please correct me if I'm wrong but iBooks is not a great PDF reader as far as I know.
It does the job for basic needs. It does, however, annoyingly require you to scroll side to side to switch pages (whereas every other app ever lets you scroll up and down).

As for PDFs, you can sync them following the instructions here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.