Font Issues In Word

Reaction score
I am at my wits end trying to figure out why I can't get a font to work in Word. It works in Excel and Filemaker without issue, but it won't come up in the Word font list.

I have tried completely bombing the Font Book, starting in Safe Mode to rebuild the font cache, and completely closing all apps and clearing Word's font cache and letting it rebuild.

The font is USPSIMBStandard, which is made by the US Postal Service and used a million times a day. I have gotten it to work on Windows at home without issue from the same download.

Is there anything I haven't tried that might make this font register in Word's font options menu? I'm creating a Mail Merge and using it to put barcodes on mail labels - USPS's instructions make it seem like it's easy as pie, but it's been one issue after another.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been posted elsewhere - I wasn't able to locate it and most articles that are even close are fairly old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What version office? Recall that some time ago there was a problem if the font did not come with Office it would not load. What does Font Book say about it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Place the font here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts/Microsoft/

If it still isn't seen after you put it there, that means it's not compatible with Mac Word.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you both so much. It's Office 11. Chscag, I added it to that folder (it wasn't there, so thank you for new info!) but it still won't come up in word even after rebuilding font cache in Word. So is that a wrap?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, if it's not seen in Word after you put it there, it means the font is not compatible with Word. I ran into the same problem with Korean character fonts that I use on occasion. There are other Word processors which handle fonts (especially other than Romans character fonts) much better than Word. As a matter of fact, Windows Word will accept almost every font there is; why MS does not provide the same for Mac Word is beyond me. Maybe it's changed in Office 2016?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.