Just bought a Apple MacBook MB466LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop on Amazon for $475. Good deal?

Reaction score
I bought a Apple MacBook MB466LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (refurbished) for $475 on Amazon. I believe its a late 2008 model.

Here's a description from the seller:

Condition: Refurbished - Cosmetic is 8/10. UPGRADED 4GB / 250GB HDD. Normal sign of wear and tear with scratches marks or small dings on casing. Good battery. Professionally refurbished where item has been inspected, cleaned, and tested to meet manufacturer specifications. 60 Days Limited Warranty. NOTE** OSX YOSEMITE, includes Office suite and Photo shop. HDD/SSD or RAM upgrade also available. Please contact us for special request/upgrade before making purchase: amazon at imacket (Off lease unit from University)

They have a 100% rating on Amazon, so I thought I'd give them a shot.

Basically, I'm wondering if this is a good deal? I'm just looking for something that will last me a year. Will this model do it? Is it going to break on me within a month?

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Big bickies for a seven year old computer and the only refurbished Macs are sold by Apple Online. Note Office and Photoshop are on there illegally unless you got the DVD and activation codes so there maybe problems if you try to update.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

In your opinion, is this something that will crap out in a month?

I'm not looking for blazing fast speeds, but will it at least be reasonably quick?

C

chas_m

Thanks for the reply.

In your opinion, is this something that will crap out in a month?

I'm not looking for blazing fast speeds, but will it at least be reasonably quick?

Will it crap out in a month? No.

Was it a good price? No.

Will it be quick? If you put an SSD in it, yes. Otherwise, no.

I'd suggest you return it for a refund, do better research on what you actually need, and buy accordingly. A seven-year-old computer, of any sort, is probably not it.

If your budget is around $500, I'd suggest you look at a new or refurbished (from Apple!) Mac Mini, or try to find a good deal on a 2012 MacBook Pro.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
$475 for a Late 2008 MacBook is way too much. And a very high probability the installed apps (Office & Photoshop) are not legal installs.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I have a 2008 white Macbook. Less than a year ago it was just fine and dandy. I never even thought of a new computer. Then started getting kernal panics. Replaced the HD and uncreased the memory. Then the charger started not connecting. Bought a new charger. Then found out it wasn't the charger at all. It was the Macbook connection that was corroding but if I worked long enough it would connect. Just hung on a long time because I loved that computer. If I knew how to post a photo I will show you how fast things went downhill. This week for example I had to use duct tape to get a connection to stay. Then had to put a little weight on the plug to keep it connected. I gave up and bought a new Macbook.

Just be prepared for it not to last long at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the great example of why buying an older MacBook is not a good idea. Once in awhile you may get a real nice older machine that's in pristine condition, but those buys are rare especially from eBay or Craig's list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL for a computer, particularly a notebook, seven years IS a long time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.