Hanns-G monitor message "input signal out of range"

Reaction score
My five year old Hanns G monitor does not recognize the Mac mini signal. All I get is the message : Input signal out of range.

I took my 2007 Mac mini to the Apple Store today. It checked out fine. They warned me it might be a monitor problem.

With a Safe Start, I can see all my Desktop and files but there is no Internet access (we use Xfinity Wi-fi in the house), so this is not too useful.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
A Safe Boot Mode startup can prevent a lot of things from working if they rely on any third party software, than could include Internet access and printing etc.

So there must be some third party software preventing your monitor from working with a normal startup boot.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum! You didn't say which Hanns G monitor you have, nor what version OS X you are using. Please read the link in my sig and repost with more information about your system and maybe we can find a way to get these two antiques talking to each other! And did this problem just start? What have you changed just before the problem showed up?

OP
C
Reaction score
I just adjusted the Display under Safe Start conditions and I'm practically back where I was before all the trouble started about 10 days ago. As long as the Display is less than 1500 x 900 and at 75 hz (and no other hz level), I seem to be OK.

My Mac mini runs OS 10.6.8. The Hanns G monitor is a JW197D.

All was fine up until the time I deleted all the Downloads and did a Trash Empty. Then my Desktop disappeared. I used Apple Support ($29) to get the Desktop restored (a bunch of files in Library were trashed). After I hung up from Apple Support and did a Restart, the Display was a mess - too dark to read, blurry,etc. I did several Restarts and finally got it readable but the resolution was bad. So I spoke with Apple Support again. The Tech had me do a Safe Start, told me to reset Display to the highest level and that's when the "Input signal out of range" message appeared.

The Apple Support Tech could not resolve the issue, so I took the Mac mini to the Apple Store today. They said it looked OK and the problem must be in the monitor.

It does appear to be a "communications issue" but I don't understand why it has suddenly appeared when things have been fine for many years.

Thanks for your interest.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here are a couple if things that might be worth a try if you haven't tried them already:
1. Try setting the resolution to 1440 X 900 @ 75 Hz. This is its max resolution.
2 With the monitor attached open the preference pane, make sure the monitor is selected, and choose scaled.
3. You can find the list of supported resolutions at Error Message & Possible Solutions - Hanns.g JW197DPB, JW197D User Manual [Page 21]. Try one of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.