Notification received about a new post but it is missing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OK, what gives??? And this is sure not the first time it's happened with different threads here...

I get an email notice:
"blairchen0 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Help recover deleted photos on SD card - in the OS X - Apps and Games forum of Mac Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...-recover-deleted-photos-sd-card-new-post.html

But when I go there, no sign of any such message. As I say, what gives??

Also at the site it shows:

Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 7.39.57 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, what gives??? And this is sure not the first time it's happened with different threads here...

It's either demons or gremlins. (take your choice of which one) :Evil: However, in this instance it's because the post is spam and was blocked by the system. I'm in the process of removing the post and the spammer. Therefore, you can call off your exorcist for tonight. ;P

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OK, thanks for the info.

I guess the same sort of thing is happening when a thread says there's a new unread post on "page 2", but when one clicks to go to page 2, you just end up back on page 1 and there's noticing on page 2. In fact page 2 in such cases usually doesn't even exist, if that makes any sense.

Maybe if a message could be left saying "post removed" if it had been removed by one of the mods or admins, just to let the reader know. God forbid it could be due to something amiss with my Mac!!! :) ;)

Or maybe I better check and see if there isn't an update for either demons or gremlins. Presently I have versions 101 of both which I think is the latest for Mavericks OS X 10.9.5. :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or maybe I better check and see if there isn't an update for either demons or gremlins. Presently I have versions 101 of both which I think is the latest for Mavericks OS X 10.9.5.

You better upgrade then, the little monsters are getting more sophisticated and clever. :Evil:
As for the missing page 2 that you've come across, it's apparently a bug in the forum software that occurs on occasion. Most of us have had the same thing happen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Moved the above posts to their own thread as it is a worthy question for all members to be aware of.

And, to answer your other question;

No, we are not going to put up a post letting everyone know everytime we ban a spammer and delete their post. There are some days where you might see 20 + a day that would just clutter up the forum as much as the spam itself.

FYI:
The following types of threads will "definitely" see spammers posting in them:
data recovery of every kind,
video conversion,
audio conversion,
pdf conversion,
and the list goes on...

In fact, with the above list, the individual that started the thread (as their first post in the forum) is quite often in cahoots with the spammer - aka tag team spamming.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well that clears up the mystery for me! :Cool: I just thought I was loosing my mind, which is not a surprise to me. O:)

I did not realize how hard the admins and mods work to police the forum. I appreciate all your efforts to keep this forum informative and clear of all the varieties of "junk."

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.