install OpenSSH

Reaction score
Keep in mind my command line skills rest in simply typing what I am told. A friend wants me to be able to use his server via ssh. Trouble is he wants me to use a ED25519 key and the SSH version in Yosemite is from 2011 and doesn’t do ED25519, just RSA best I can tell. I have been googling for hours and closest I can come to “How to upgrade SSH on Mac?” is to use OpenSSH. But apparently it needs to be compiled and I can not find anything “on my level” to help me.

I am headed to bed leaving this post here and hoping to see a clear answer/help tomorrow.

Thanks!

Tim

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You will have to use Homebrew to install OpenSSH/SSL to replace what comes with OS X.

Read these instructions and scroll down to the section marked 'Updating...'

OP
T
Reaction score
You will have to use Homebrew to install OpenSSH/SSL to replace what comes with OS X.

Read these instructions and scroll down to the section marked 'Updating...'

Yep. Homebrew was the ticket. Thanks!

Though for the life of me, being as ignorant as can possibly be, I can't understand why it can't just be an install like any other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.