iMac core duo buyer beware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
I am on my 6th serious issue with this machine. I purchased (2) 20" iMac core duos from apple.com and loaded them with 2gb ram and additional vram (256mb). I have had issue after issue with these computers:
Garbled video in front row
front row failing to recognize commands from remote
Intermittent Keyboard failure where media keys stop working and the only remedy is to unplug the thing and plug it back in
Mouse sleep issue
When running from an external hard drive, finder will domino effect all applications opened and eventually seize up the system where only holding the power button will turn the thing off.
Now it seems that when trying to submit an auction to ebay, it keeps returning me to the main ebay home page. This is getting extremely frustrating! Especially with a $2,000 computer!I guess it's the joys of owning a rev.a machine but ****, get it together Apple!

Reaction score
I have a 17 inch Imac had some slight graphics issued, as i have posted. This issue with Ebay however is more to do with Safari and I also suffer from this. It is to do with Ebay and how it conifures its plug-ins. I use camino and this seems to prevent this problem.

Sorry to hear about your problems.....it does sound like there is some sort of serious issue with your machine somewhere, my external drive a lacie porsche one has never caused me any problems with finder....touch wood!

Reaction score
Oh one more thing I am on my 6th as in I have bought 6 in total all Dual Cores and have only had this slight hiccup on the one machine....with the video.

OP
Texasmeat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
I went over to the apple forums and these problems are actually kinda common. Whenever I contact apple, it's always some indian guy who goes through the drill of mindless tech support before they transfer me to an american who tells me in 2 seconds that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. The video problem was a glitch in that specific build of the operating system. Once updated, the problem went away. I am only saying that while I enjoy the machine, I have had an awful lot of problems with these machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hmmm, the moral of the story is:

Wait for REV B!

OP
Texasmeat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
Amen. This is THE LAST TIME I buy a rev a machine. Like most people, I bought into the "osx runs swimmingly on intel processors" BS and this is not that big of a deal switching processors etc etc. Bottom line for me is: buy a rev a machine and you're a guinea pig. It's cheap R&D for Apple.

Reaction score
Texasmeat said:
Amen. This is THE LAST TIME I buy a rev a machine. Like most people, I bought into the "osx runs swimmingly on intel processors" BS and this is not that big of a deal switching processors etc etc. Bottom line for me is: buy a rev a machine and you're a guinea pig. It's cheap R&D for Apple.

Sorry, I haven't had this many problems with my Rev A iMactel. The hard drive was screwy on mine, but that was Western Digital's fault, not so much the fact that it was an intel switch. Great first 'mac' computer and I guess it's a hit or miss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I haven't had any problems with mine either. I have a 20" iMac Core Duo with a 256mb vid card, no problems here. I was nervous about getting a rev. A machine (as a general rule I ALWAYS avoid at least rev. A, if not B and C lol), but I wanted to get it in time for my wife's bday and lucked out. The MacBook Pro is definately waiting (as is my bank account lol). Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Hmm... that's interesting. My iMac works perfectly fine, and honestly, I couldn't be happier... definatlely THE best machine I've ever owned and maybe ever will own (except maybe my next mac... lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
BlindingLights said:
Hmm... that's interesting. My iMac works perfectly fine, and honestly, I couldn't be happier... definatlely THE best machine I've ever owned and maybe ever will own (except maybe my next mac... lol)

Which REV do you have? A Intel Imac, or later G5/G4 Imac?

I played around with the new intel macs at the store, really not that hyped up for them right now, maybe when my mac mini gets outdated i may move up.....to a G5 never an intel....IMO

Reaction score
yes to be honest all 6 of mine have been very good. I did get the video problems on mine one 17 inch which was apparently not supposed to be affected. I was watching the dual boot video and the screen would bleed into my screena nd then corrupt. I did a compelte reinstall and touch wood its been fine since.

If you get hung up on the whole Rev situation you might end up never buying a machine and thats a real shame cause they are fantastic!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
I think the daily presence of Intel iMacs in the Apple refurbished store speaks volumes about the problems that people are having with them.

I'm sticking with my G4 for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 1.83 Core Duo / 12" G4 iBook / 3G iPod (white) / 5G Video iPod (black)
Perhaps I should knock wood as well. My week old 17' iMac appears to be working just fine.

One thing of note: Even after adjusting the display brightness to near minimal, it still appears a bit washed out primarily while browsing with Firefox.

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
I love my imac G5.

OP
Texasmeat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
I love the machines but there are alot of bugs to them that just plain suck. From everything I've seen on the internet, nobody is talking about the service issues. Just the **** 2x bla bla bla. My purpose in posting is to let others who are considering buying to wait till a rev B. I personally think the 30th anniversary iMac will be black. Any takers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
im sorry your having problems with your machine, it really sucks to get something that doesnt work correctly. lets all remember that not all intel macs are having this problem. you will most likely find a lot of people who have problems with their stuff on the internet because people do not come to forums to say "oh my god this is the best computer ever it works perfectly" they come to say that they dont work.

g'luck on getting your issues fixed
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
My 20 inch imac intel is awesome so far. *knock on wood*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
This seems to be the norm in any computer related forum. People who buy Rev A machines with issues tell others not to buy Rev A machines. Others will buy Rev A machines and experience no problems at all. It's just luck of the draw.

......and yes, my Rev A MacBook is awesome, and *knock on wood* i've had no problems with it. :black:

X

xbrian87

I've had my 17" Duo iMac for 2 months and everything is running GREAT. It's by far the best computer I've ever owned.

I've got one word for you guys: AppleCare (and yes it is one word, I checked my box before typing).

Reaction score
I've had my 20" intel based imac for a week now, and have had absolutely no complaints. So far it's running super smooth.

I previously had (still do) a shuttle computer, which had 4 fans. The system was so loud that I could hear it across the room. The imac is so quiet...it's actually to quiet :p I need some sort of background distraction like itunes playing.

I was reluctant to purchase a rev A, but did it anyway. I may have gotten lucky, and think it's a great machine. I also have applecare as well.

vj

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.