Invisible rectangle pops up on the screen and blocks buttons/programs

Reaction score
Today, I had a very strange issue happen on my computer. First off, my computer specs.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

All of a sudden, in the middle of working in Adobe Illustrator, this invisible rectangle popped up. I thought i twas Creative Suite related, so I quit all of my CS programs and tried again. A few minutes later, it popped back up. It affects any program that's open or the desktop in the sense that whatever is behind the rectangle isn't clickable. For example, when I opened system preferences, the buttons behind it (general, dock, etc..) were not clickable: but the buttons outside of the rectangle (spotlight, notifications, sounds, etc) were clickable. Same for open Finder windows, any software programs, etc.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? Thanks in advance! See screenshots below.

ss2.png

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

It appears to be graphics related. Your MBP has two GPUs and it's likely that when you're using the Adobe CS apps the better of the two GPUs is active. (the nvidia) I'm wondering if the same thing happens when your MBP is using the Intel Iris Pro 5200?

The second question I have.... is your MBP still covered by Apple Care?

OP
N
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

It appears to be graphics related. Your MBP has two GPUs and it's likely that when you're using the Adobe CS apps the better of the two GPUs is active. (the nvidia) I'm wondering if the same thing happens when your MBP is using the Intel Iris Pro 5200?

The second question I have.... is your MBP still covered by Apple Care?

I was afraid that it may be GPU related. And to answer your question...no, it's not covered by warranty anymore. :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably best to take your machine to an Apple Store genius bar and let them run diagnostics on it. The diagnostics are free if you take it to an Apple Store but if you use an authorized Mac repair service, they may charge you a fee.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.