snow leopard to mavericks. some small issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
noticing some delays in the finder,... when I send a file or folder to trash, or duplicate a file or folder. I hear the system sound but it takes 3-5 seconds before the action is done. never had this in snow leopard.... but, if I log into my test account, I dont see this issue so much. I installed over snow lep not a clean install. would a clean install fix it? beats me.

also on restarting, sometimes the finder menu is there but faded... if I relaunch finder it shows up normal. I deleted the finder prefs file, no help. onyx said the disk needs repairing, but I booted with disk utility and it says the disk is fine.

guess its normal to have some issues going from 10.6.8 to 10.9.5. so i'm not too shocked... now I just want to search the web so see if it's a simple fix, or will I need to try a clean install.

also pressing the power button use to put the mac to sleep in snow lep. not so with mavericks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have to remember we said this was getting to be an aged computer with limited memory. Still think the best option would have been to back everything up, erase and format the hard drive and do a nice, new clean install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I would install clean. Snow Leopard to Mavericks is too big a jump in operating systems for everything to go smoothly. Keep in mind that Snow Leopard was designed to be compatible with not only the newer Intel only apps but also older PPC apps by using Rosetta.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep, probably will try a clean install more than likely. was hoping to avoid that. but it is what it is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be sure to backup your data with Time Machine before doing the clean install.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does it have to be time machine? I actually use carbon copy cloner.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it has to be Time Machine if you wish to migrate your data without overwriting any system files. CCC will overwrite everything and you'll be back where you started. ;D

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
been a while since I did a clean install without losing data... so I'll have to google it to make sure I dont goof it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
does it have to be time machine? I actually use carbon copy cloner.

Yes, it has to be Time Machine if you wish to migrate your data without overwriting any system files. CCC will overwrite everything and you'll be back where you started. ;D

Hmmm…??? I haven't bothered going to Yosemite yet, but with all other upgrades and I'm now using Mavericks, I've always just used my CCC clone and used it with Migration Assistant.

Never a problem and never even used TM. Just saying… :|

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note that he's doing a clean install. What would be the point of erasing the hard drive and installing Yosemite clean and then overlay it with a CCC backup? Think about that for a minute before you reply..... He'll be right back to where he started from. TM does not overwrite system files and is actually better for migration purposes. I've migrated three Macs using TM without nary a hitch. I've also used CCC to restore a working system when something went wrong. Each has its specialized use. In this case TM is the better tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I recall, when using Migration Assistant I'm guessing it was that I used, it gave some options as to what to migrate from the CCC clone. I just used the options to include my personal user data and settings. Worked fine.

I'm guessing using a TM backup would do about the same, but I've never used it. And I don't know how it would differentiate differently what data to not include.

Anyway, feeling lousy here and maybe a touch of flu or ...???? so I'll leave it at that for tonight. And good luck to the OP, and at least they have a proper backup.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, chscag's comment surprised me, too. MA uses a clone just like it does any other backup drive. You can tell it to bring over your personal stuff and it leaves the OS alone. To MA, the clone drive just looks like a remotely mounted old drive in a different machine, so it treats it the same. But having a TM backup as insurance never hurts, so I'd still recommend making one for just that reason.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note that when I advised "macgig" it was assumed he would restore and not necessarily want to use the Migration Assistant which is why I believe TM is the better choice. And as I replied to pm-r I have migrated data to three new Macs using the Migration Assistant and Time Machine. You certainly would not want to use CCC to setup a new Mac from a clone you made from your old Mac. However, there's no better tool in my opinion, than CCC when your system crashes and you need to restore it to where it was before the crash.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did a clean install. formatted internal HD, installed mavericks. put all my files and programs back. theirs still a delay when I do things in the finder.... 3-4 seconds when I duplicate files or folders, or move items to the trash. (2.0ghz, 2007 imac, 4gb ram)... a delay not there with snow leopard. :(

Bug? or my mac is too old to handle mavericks? apple says mavericks will run on my mac. but they don't say it will run without issues. lol. ;)

its not a big issue so I may be able to live with it. I think. still trying to decide. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but I still have my snow leopard backup if I change my mind.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you happen to also do a "zero-out" or one pass security option when you formatted your HDD macgig??

I'm just wondering if the drive might have some bad sectors that that extra bit could/should have mapped out and if it would have made any difference.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope just formatted. mac os journaled.... then installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
macgig the test would have been to run your Mac for a day or two without replacing the files to see if there was any improvement. The delay you speak of could we be in an app or an extension clash. Try Sfe Mode and see how she goes.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried it about 1/2 hour before I installed files and apps. it still had the delay. i'll see what safe mode does, thanks.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, now my right click on the mouse dont work. or the center button for dashboard, even though the setting has not changed. I have a folder in the finder on the desktop, 34mb in it. selected the folder and did "burn to disc" from the file menu. it took 33 seconds before the window opened telling me to insert the disk.

its not looking good for mavericks. snow lep may make a return. lol.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did a restart, right clicking is back, so is the center button for turning on dashboard, but it still takes 25 seconds to be prompted to insert a disk when burning a folder to disc in the finder. strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.