Made a slight boo-boo last night :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
Last night I was feeling extra jiggy so I changed the name of my home on my MBP and the HD name. Restarted and boom my wallpaper was gone, widgets, pics the whole shabang. I wanted to go to bed and hope it would magically repair itself. Fortunately, I re-installed OS X and iLife, Office 2K4 and Toast in under an hour and a half. It a was totally seamless install, I guess sometimes things happen for a reason... I have to add my 35 GB of music again though :( oh well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
look in the users folder all your data will be in there ;)

L

lil

The moral of your story is not to rename your home folder. Once the short user name is set, it's in concrete more or less.

The way around this is to create the new user with the short name you want and then from Finder, double Click Macintosh HD and then Users; you will see your old home folder and new one. Copy the contents of the older user's home folder to the new one and voila.

Then you can delete the old one.

Vicky

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
Thank you for the info Vicky, this will definitely be commited to memory if I ever wish to become creative! It is all a learning curve for me :dummy:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.