Problem with late 2013 Mac Pro Thunderbolt ports

Reaction score
I have a 2013 trashcan Mac Pro with Thunderbolt ports that aren't working properly

They don't power or recognise various HD and peripherals plugged in to them
It's not that the ports are dead as I can use a TB cable to connect to another Mac and use a TB to HDMI adaptor successfully

All the above mentioned HD's/peripherals work on my 2011 Macbook Pro (which has a TB1 port) and my 2014 iMac & Mac Mini (both have TB2 ports)
The firmware revision on the 2014 machines is 26 and on the 2011 MacBook it's 25

On the 2013 Mac Pro it's version 19.2 and I was wondering (hoping) this might be the problem
Until recently I'd never actually tried the TB ports (didn't own any TB devices) so they might never have worked properly

I can't update the firmware though as the App store says I'm up to date and older updaters I found online won't run on my current 10.10.4 OS)
I've tried a SCM & Pram reset but that didn't fix anything

Any ideas would be very gratefully received

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well are you certain the ports are not workin or just not showing on your desktop? In Finder Preferences it is necessary to select 'Show these items on the desktop'.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome!

The peripherals are definitely not getting any power from the ports (the front panel lights not coming on etc) so it's not just that they're not mounting

They are also not displaying as connected in the TB info under Apple System info
Apple diagnostics passes ok though

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think it matters since the TB ports are backward compatible. Try a SMC reset and if that doesn't work, also reset the PRAM.

C

chas_m

The fact that it works with a transfer cable (data) and works with an HDMI adapter (video) suggests there is nothing wrong at all with the ports, though perhaps they just don't carry enough power for what else you're plugging in, or are faulty in only that respect I suppose.

These other "HD and peripherals" you're plugging in ... are they Thunderbolt as well? Or are you using an adapter with them? If you're using an adapter or hub, it is the same one you used on the 2011 MBP?

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm plugging in a PT Native HD TB interface and Lacie D2 TN Hard drive

I've often thought the problems lies with power
It's what made me wonder about the TB firmware versions being too old (V19.2)
Maybe the devices aren't getting enough iuice

C

chas_m

I'm plugging in a PT Native HD TB interface and Lacie D2 TN Hard drive

I can't easily figure out if those are Thunderbolt-native or not, so please clarify. I'm guessing the PT means "Pro Tools"? I know what a LaCie D2 hard drive is, but not the TN part. The only D2 I have firsthand experience with is USB 3.0.

I've often thought the problems lies with power

That's my leading guess as well. My understanding is that Thunderbolt (1, at least, and probably 2 as well) supplies a mere 10W of power, which doesn't sound like enough to run a non-portable hard drive. You may well need to acquire a powered hub or plug in those two devices in order for them to run properly.

OP
S
Reaction score
But the same devices work on all of my other Mac's so perhaps this particular Mac Pro isn't supplying enough power

That' what made me think that as it's running an earlier version of the TB firmware perhaps an update would fix the problem

However I can't update it from 19.2 to whatever the current version is (my other machines are on 25 & 26)

Lot's of folks I know are running the Pro Tools HD Native Thunderbolt interface on 2013 Mac Pro's so it's not that they can't/shouldn't work

I appreciate all the help so far

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
S
Reaction score
Yes I have the PT 11 HD software

But the front panel lights should come on regardless of having the software installed
I can plug it in to any of my other Mac's that don't have the software on and the front panel lights will come on and it will be seen in the Apple System Info TB tab (I plugged it in today to a friends brand new MacBook and it lit up as expected)

On the Mac Pro in question no lights and not showing anything in Apple Systems Info (nothing connected )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I have no problem with the TB ports on my 2013, using one to drive a 4K monitor and two to drive external RAID arrays BUT my RAID arrays have external power so you might be right in suspecting the amount of power supplied through the ports.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have no problem with the TB ports on my 2013, using one to drive a 4K monitor and two to drive external RAID arrays BUT my RAID arrays have external power so you might be right in suspecting the amount of power supplied through the ports.

Thanks for this info
Could you let me know which TB firmware version your MP is running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
19.2 just like you.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's interesting
I just tried the peripherals on a 2014 MP that has TB firmware @ 25 and they worked without external power
being needed
Is it possible that 19.2 doesn't supply as much power to the ports?
I'd love to be able to upgrade mine to later firmware but can't find a way to do so

OP
S
Reaction score
Sniper this will tell you if you are in fact up to date. There was a December '13 update:-

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202903

Thanks for the link
I'm actually on a later boot Rom version than in the link (which was from March 2015)
This is what I'm on from June 2015

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201518

Guess it means it's not a firmware issue which I was kind of hoping it would be
I just found out that someone was running a Apple Thunderbolt display on this machine recently (while I was away)
Wondering if something was installed that's caused the glitch
I know you can run a firmware updater (1.2 I think) if you have a TB display connected

Guess I'll take it an Apple repair facility tomorrow as I'm stuck trying to work it out

Will update thread with their findings

I appreciate all the input from everyone so thanks again

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.