networking on 5K Imac

Reaction score
Interested in purchasing the 5K Imac for my business and am wondering if one other employee would be able to network on this same computer being a few offices away and both of us working on it at the same time? Is this possible? If so, what would be needed in his office?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you very much Razoredge. Is this 10.7 Lion OS available before purchasing the 5K Imac? Will it work with Boot Camp also?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
He was just stating that STARTING with OS X Lion that feature was available. You do not need OS X Lion. It's old now and will not even run on the new 5k iMac. It will come with OS X Yosemite which does everything Lion did and a lot more.

Bootcamp comes in every OS X and is for installing Windows on the same drive as OS X so you can boot either in Windows or OSX.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7, That's good news. I am new to mac and I am trying to finally switch over business computers from windows to mac. I like that using boot camp will allow me to use both OS systems. Most of my accounting programs are windows based and I would like to be able to keep those and move to the new mac. I am just wondering if I will have to supply my other employee with a new mac computer also in order for him to access my computer or is it somehow possible for him to be able access my computer via Wi Fi on his windows computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks dtravis7, That's good news. I am new to mac and I am trying to finally switch over business computers from windows to mac. I like that using boot camp will allow me to use both OS systems. Most of my accounting programs are windows based and I would like to be able to keep those and move to the new mac. I am just wondering if I will have to supply my other employee with a new mac computer also in order for him to access my computer or is it somehow possible for him to be able access my computer via Wi Fi on his windows computer?

Regarding running Windows on a Mac computer, take a look at 5-Ways to run Windows on a Mac - Boot Camp allows you to install Windows in its own partition but you need to boot into one or the other, i.e. both cannot be running at the same time; a better solution is to use a 'virtual machine' as explained in the link - Parallels Desktop is often mentioned in this forum - I have no experience using the latter so others will likely 'chime in' w/ some great advice.

As to your second question regarding 'Remote Desktop', please provide information on the computer(s) your employee is using (brand/model) and the OS installed. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.