Ideal Backup/NAS Solutions

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a Mac novice despite owning a lot of Apple devices (multiple desktops, multiple MBs, 3 iphones, 3 ipads, 2 ATVs). I'm looking for NAS options for TM backups with greater capacity than TC's max 3TB that all of my devices can access.

I currently have a 3TB internal HDD on my main desktop that I store my iTunes library on and a 3TB GoFlex Home i am using for TM backups. The GoFlex was not made for Mac and constantly has connectivity issues and frequently fails backups.

Scheduling TM backups for multiple desktops and MBs is a simple function I know several options can accomadate. Ideally, I'd like to be able to store my iTunes library on the NAS as well and access it from all of the devices - i know this is likely limited for iOS devices. Most importantly, I have to be able to access it from the Apple TVs to stream movies and music. I previously had my iTunes library on the GoFlex and while streaming to the ATVs was possible (via my desktop iTunes), it was extremely slow, lagged, and had constant playback issues.

From my research, there seems to be two main options i'd like some feedback on: Synology and using a mac mini running OSX server...

For Synology users, can iTunes stream directly from the NAS or does it have to go through a desktop/MB running iTunes?

In reference to using a Mac Mini as a media server, does this option work with ATVs or replace the ATV as the media streaming device? Also, with the limited storage capacity of minis, I assume an additional storage option is also required with this solution?

Alternatively, can I "daisy-chain" multiple TCs together for additional capacity?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Some thoughts

*** I am not sure why you are having problems with your GoFlex, are you directly connecting to your computer or are you trying to use it over your Network?

***** I have a Synology DS214play which has the added benefit from being able to do "Transcoding" on the fly i.e. translate different file formats to another file format. It has additional hardware circuitry to provide this feature effortlessly and with good performance. Other Synology models do not have this.
Synology does have an application to provide "iTunes Server" functionality i.e. it will host and play your iTunes content.
Another plus for Synology is that it is DLNA compatible and Apply AirPlay compatible, both of these can be very useful. The AirPlay feature will be nice for you since you have Apple TVs.
I also use my Synology to host my Music Library for my Sonos System, which is so awesome. I do not use the iTunes Server feature I use Synology's native applications (DS Audio and DS Video) so it acts perfectly as a Media Server for all of my content. Since it is DLNA compatible I can also play my content directly to my DLNA Television.
Lastly, I currently do not use my Synology for my Time Machine Backups. I had a couple of hiccups when I first setup my Synology for that functionality, sometimes it is because of the quality of your Home Network performance as your backups will be routed thru your Home Network. It is hard to beat DAS (Direct Attached Storage) for Time Machine Backups, it is so rock solid.

DavidH

I'm a bit of a Mac novice despite owning a lot of Apple devices (multiple desktops, multiple MBs, 3 iphones, 3 ipads, 2 ATVs). I'm looking for NAS options for TM backups with greater capacity than TC's max 3TB that all of my devices can access.

I currently have a 3TB internal HDD on my main desktop that I store my iTunes library on and a 3TB GoFlex Home i am using for TM backups. The GoFlex was not made for Mac and constantly has connectivity issues and frequently fails backups.

Scheduling TM backups for multiple desktops and MBs is a simple function I know several options can accomadate. Ideally, I'd like to be able to store my iTunes library on the NAS as well and access it from all of the devices - i know this is likely limited for iOS devices. Most importantly, I have to be able to access it from the Apple TVs to stream movies and music. I previously had my iTunes library on the GoFlex and while streaming to the ATVs was possible (via my desktop iTunes), it was extremely slow, lagged, and had constant playback issues.

From my research, there seems to be two main options i'd like some feedback on: Synology and using a mac mini running OSX server...

For Synology users, can iTunes stream directly from the NAS or does it have to go through a desktop/MB running iTunes?

In reference to using a Mac Mini as a media server, does this option work with ATVs or replace the ATV as the media streaming device? Also, with the limited storage capacity of minis, I assume an additional storage option is also required with this solution?

Alternatively, can I "daisy-chain" multiple TCs together for additional capacity?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. thanks

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I have a Mac Mini (regular, not Server) acting as my iTunes server. I have all my media on a LaCie 3TB x2 RAID1 drive which is connected via Thunderbolt. I have two ATVs, one connected to the Mac via power-link (Ethernet over power) and the other just using wifi.

There is a few seconds delay to start up playback when I request something from one of my ATVs, but after that there is never any buffering. You can push or pull media with the ATVs, too. You can start something playing using your ATV and drawing from the ITunes server, or start it playing from iTunes on the computer but select one of the ATVs as an AirPlay destination. You can even pull media to multiple end points at the same time; I've done two simultaneously with no problems.

I also happen to have two TCs - a 3TB current gen and a 1TB last gen. I originally had them set up to both work (with the older device 'extending' the new one) but that seemed unstable so currently the older one is switched off. I may yet try putting the older one back into the network but with its wifi turned off.

So, using a Mac Mini as a media hub is a fine option in my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.