Music services/storing music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I have yet to download any music from the iTunes store, but want to start.
I see Amazon has an MP3 download site also. Can these be stored in iTunes?
I have music stored on a an ext. hard drive. Some downloaded from the internet, some copies of certain tracks from my CDs. I'd like to move these song tracks to my iCloud on my iMac so I can access them on my iPad. Not sure how to do it.
Should these be moved to my iTunes library (which is currently empty) first and then they wilI be automatically sent to my iCloud (I think)?
Is the iTunes library the best place to store my other music?
Will iTunes mess up my songs that were not downloaded from iTunes?
Can my music be stored in MUSIC under the finders menu?
This is all probably something you all understand, but I grew up when typewriters and vinyl were the standards. Also:eek: learned my electronics on vacuum tubes.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Only because it's easier, I'm going to do this one at a time.
I have yet to download any music from the iTunes store, but want to start.
I see Amazon has an MP3 download site also. Can these be stored in iTunes?
If the files don't have DRM, iTunes can play it.
I have music stored on a an ext. hard drive. Some downloaded from the internet, some copies of certain tracks from my CDs. I'd like to move these song tracks to my iCloud on my iMac so I can access them on my iPad. Not sure how to do it.
You have two options here. First, you can simply sync your iTunes library with your iPad. Or, you can use iCloud Music Library which is part of Apple Music. You can get Apple Music for free for now and, if you like it, you can continue to use it. That said, other services such as Google Play Music and Xbox Music are free and do exactly this - act as services to stream your own music everywhere.
Should these be moved to my iTunes library (which is currently empty) first and then they wilI be automatically sent to my iCloud (I think)?
If you have Apple Music, yes, the songs will be uploaded. See here for more info.
Is the iTunes library the best place to store my other music?
That would be a personal preference.
Will iTunes mess up my songs that were not downloaded from iTunes?
Mess up how? It won't threaten the integrity of the songs if that's a concern.
Can my music be stored in MUSIC under the finders menu?
iTunes ultimately stores it here. Otherwise, it's a folder like any other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.